Author Topic: Race Question  (Read 8191 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Race Question
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
Gerry your to funny dude!!!!!!!!
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
I don't want this to sound bad but you don't see many black owned businesses in any field. Not sure why that is.

Gear you must have not heard we got out the cotton field  LOL

Darryl

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
I don't want this to sound bad but you don't see many black owned businesses in any field. Not sure why that is.

Darryl

The cotton field were way before my time. I didn't even know that was were black people came from.  ;D

I just caught the "Field" part of what you said. Sorry I am a little slow today.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 01:22:17 PM »
Ok guys don,t read anything into this, but my wife and I were just wondering about black own screenprint shops, being that thre is only two with about 100 miles of us that we know us being one of them.  Am I the only black owned or black printer on this forum?...reason for this question is we see the white owned etc shops working together on jobs art or whatever it takes to help a fellow printer.  I know you guys have helped me out as I have tried to help you all if I could in anyway....we had a customer come in and was shooked to see that we did this kind of work (black) funny as hell and I said yes we do, well there next question was do we know of any other black print shops and I could only think of one more.

Darryl

I know of 2 black owned shops here and we have helped eachother out from time to time. I have heard stories from them about customers being shocked that they are black. One of them prints for mostly black musicans, clothing lines and churches,he swears that his black customers will pay more because they know less about the process.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 01:23:31 PM »

Darryl

Yep that damn Eli Whitney
"No man is an island"

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »
but to me they are screen printers first and ethnicity ranks pretty far down the list.

Awesome. Screen printers first, other peons need not apply.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »

This is true... I use to print for a black family owned pizza shop that closed 3 months after they opening and said its because most people want to see an Italian guy running the joint but I think that has do more with what they're serving. Being white I wouldnt want to buy my chinese food from an all white own chinease business , something stupid in my head tells me that the food will suck.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:33:12 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »
I think most of the shops in this area are white or hispanic owned.  I have had my head in the doors of probably 10-15 different shops here in my area and I don't think any were black owned.  I'm pretty sure our shop is the only one in our region that there is only about 3 tattoos between the 5 of us that work in this building.  The guys that stop by and ask if we're hiring all look the same, white and full of tats.

Along this subject, anyone remember Ridgely, aka outdabox?  Last I saw he had his auto up for sale and was struggling.  I thought he might have moved it to a new location on his or family's property to try and get through the hard times but I don't know for sure.  He used to be a part of the forums but I haven't seen or heard anything from him in about a year.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 01:48:17 PM »
I wish there were more black owned and operated restaurants serving good southern soul food like you see on TV. What's that's woman's name with the restaurants in I think Missouri? Sweetie Pies that's it! That food looks delish!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Another old buddy of ours was Tiggeron.  He's a black dude (I think) and owns his own shop.  I still talk to him now and then. He says he's really only got time to dedicate to one forum and he's been on T-Shirtfroums since the old TSPMB went down

Yea, haven't seen Outdabox  anywhere.  I do think he moved his shop to his parents property. Had an auto on a wooden floor. I thought it would rock at every rotation.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
Inkman I bet you half the high school kids coming out now wouldn't know who Eli Whitney was, not to mention he was black to.

D

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
half the high school kids can't name the capitol of the US.

also, and this is something i have noticed after a friend pointed it out...black folks down here almost always pay cash...they are some of my favorite customers.  Especially Kiwi, she keeps her cash in her bra..it's a hoot.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 02:19:26 PM »
Invented the cotton gin.   I don't drink gin myself so I don't know if it's good or not.

Foghorn Leghorn

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 02:22:29 PM »
Inkman I bet you half the high school kids coming out now wouldn't know who Eli Whitney was, not to mention he was black to.

D

You are incorrect sir, he was white, you may be thinking of George Washington Carver.
"No man is an island"

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 02:24:09 PM »

D

Eli wasnt black...   he was a northener who went to yale