Author Topic: watches . . . what are you wearing?  (Read 11302 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: watches . . . what are you wearing?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:04 AM »
Can anybody tell me what time it is?

I am wearing one of these complicated watches and can't really tell what it's saying. hold on, let me get a manual . . .
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 11:34:31 AM »
Submariner. Because I sometimes I go into the wading pool.

Love that pic, a sub on a squeegee, awesome.

Pierre, I've heard such good things about the co-axial movement that Omega has been using. Unfortunately, I don't know as much about the movements as you do, I do know what kind of movements are in my watches but I don't know the details about them like I should.  I know the co-axial uses some sort of an escapement mechanism that causes less wear and tear and needs less maintenance over a longer period of time.  I will be giving at least 2 of my watches to my son in 20-40 years and I expect them to last that long, especially the omega and breitling.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »
I find it amazing at the cost of some of these watches. . .never really thought about it, but 5k for a watch. . holy smokes. . .but then again I get the same reaction from a 5k bicycle. . . boys and their toys, just don't tell the wife what it really costs. .

The watch I have my eye on is the only Rolex that doesn't look ridiculous on my wrist, and it's 10K.  I know I won't be able to get that watch any time soon with the baby and all the bills we got going on, but I've thought about selling my omega and breitling to buy the rolex, but I think that would be a stupid move on my part. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Silbersieb

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 09:46:57 AM »
My wristwatch,
ecofriendly, self-propelling!

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 01:57:26 PM »
My wrist has been devoid of a time piece for years.  Everything I need to know about life is on my cell.

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
Dick Tracy.. the early years
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »
Yeah, mixing stick. Take it up with Dot Tone! lol!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 09:27:33 PM »
Dude this laptop keyboard does wierd stuff. :-[ ::)
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 09:46:41 PM »

HAHA.  I had to laugh soooo hard.  HAHAHA. ;D   Way to have my back Frog.  It does work though.  :P
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline john52

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »

The watch I have my eye on is the only Rolex that doesn't look ridiculous on my wrist, and it's 10K.  I know I won't be able to get that watch any time soon with the baby and all the bills we got going on, but I've thought about selling my omega and breitling to buy the rolex, but I think that would be a stupid move on my part.

Is this the one?

I was at the mall waiting on some new eye glasses and stepped into the watch store.  I thought I was interested until I saw the tag said $10650.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:14 PM »
I think this one has some sort of gas relief valve on it too?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
I had a silver and gold Rolex Datejust that my wife got on a really good deal back around 1986.  Back then I wore that and a gold bracelet and nice ring and never thought too much about it.

But, I stopped wearing any jewelry sometime in the mid 90's and most everything was sold or disposed of.

There are just too many people, who want what they cannot have but you do, that will not think twice about blowing you away for a pawn-able item to buy their drugs.

Think "plain", unless you can take an armed bodyguard (or Homer) with you wherever you go.  Or at least that's my suggestion.

Also, wearing expensive baubles in front of your customer can do one of two things.  (1) It can show that you are a hard worker and good (and successful) at what you do.  But (2) It can also make your potential customers think your prices are inflated to pay for your trinkets.  Just my 2c.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:48:13 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 11:47:12 PM »
I had a silver and gold Rolex Datejust that my wife got on a really good deal back around 1986.  Back then I wore that and a gold bracelet and nice ring and never thought too much about it.

But, I stopped wearing any jewelry sometime in the mid 90's and most everything was sold or disposed of.

There are just too many people, who want what they cannot have but you do, that will not think twice about blowing you away for a pawn-able item to buy their drugs.

Think "plain", unless you can take an armed bodyguard (or Homer) with you wherever you go.

Holy cr@p, where do you live?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 11:48:36 PM »
Houston.  Need I say more?

I'm serious.  I see that all the time.  Just last week I read where someone was stabbed (killed) for a Gold Chain.

It's all about the "haves" and the "have nots".

I could not afford to bring Homer down, lol.

Oh, I remember some years back where two guys followed a guy home from shopping that was wearing a Rolex and robbed him.  The guy resisted and they shot and killed him.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:53:20 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:14 PM »
Minneapolis myself. Not exactly Vatican City.
Discretion, very important in certain areas.