Author Topic: Bad times are still here.....  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Bad times are still here.....
« on: June 28, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »
I came to work today to find 2 of the renters in my building are gone. One just left everything and the other took everything and had a eviction notice. The one that left about $100,000 in work out equipment has been here for over 10 years. I only knew he was gone because a collections guy came to my shop to ask questions about him. My building was already a ghost town. It was me and 5 other companies out of about 16 units. I like that is is dead around here but it is scaring to see business still losing everything.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Bad times are still here.....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
Where are you located?
"No man is an island"

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 07:08:40 PM »
No neighbors means you can blast the music that much louder.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
I am in mesa Arizona. Its suppose to be the worse commercial down turn area in the US in the last few years. (there has to be worse but that's what they say)

Its quiet here...The renter next to me stores stuff that was in a fire for the insurance companies. It really sucks some days I come in and smell burning and I get that I burnt my shop down feeling.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Seems to be picking up around here, buildings are filling up.

I would assume that the more exaggerated the market was a few years ago, the longer
it will take to recover.

You know what's weird? Going to my shop late at night if I forgot something or whatever.
It's just you and the cats, you and the cats.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 08:55:38 PM »
most of the businesses I talk to are just trying to hold on.  This has been a very slow recovery and I am not sure things have really gotten much better from when we hit the bottom.  It seems to have just stalled.

Every time there is good news, there is bad news that follows right behind it, and vice-versa.

My understanding is the commercial real estate side of it has yet to collapse.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Meh, I'd say commercial has hit bottom and is headed back up around here. Lord knows I wouldn't be able
to get the deal I did almost 2 years ago.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:29:12 PM »
Some places here are giving up to 6 months free or half rent to fill their spaces and from what I see that's not even working.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »
I was saying its bad still because 2 more companies walked. One guy just walked but the other one couldn't stay because of rent. I wish I knew more but If companies are still going under or down sizing then we have not hit bottom here. I know even in a good economy companies fail but I know these guys and they are not start ups. They must of been holding out for things to get better and just could not hold on any longer.

I am doing fine. I tell people that I am too small for a bad economy to effect me.

Offline Tagless Threads

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
We see this going on in San Diego. We luckily have a smart landlord but the surrounding industrial complexes are becoming ghost towns. Not to scare anyone, but every month I'm hearing of Screen Printers going out of business. One guy walked leaving a year old Anatol Trident Press and Gas Heater, I jumped on it thinking I could get a deal but the landlord was wanting  the best price to make up for this loss ::) .

Something that doesn't help is the printers that are charging way below their cost, I've seen competitive bids that are cheaper than printers in T.J. They can't be making money, obviously they are charging anything just to keep their doors open but I doubt they are making rent and will eventually go out of business anyways. What really gets me is when a printer carelessly doesn't factor their entire overhead into their printing production and eventually go out of business. It didn't get them anywhere and in the meantime took bids from other screen printers struggling to make it too.

Not trying to be negative but I think this is making a worse situation for Screen Printers down the line. I'm not saying don't compete, just be smart about it.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
twitter - facebook - flickr

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »
Here in TN a lot of open spots are filling up.  Still holes, but not a lot of going out of business, more going in business in our area.  Which is great to see. 

TN I dont think ever seen the huge up swing a lot of other areas seen though, so we didn't get huge down swing either.  We seem to bounce more in the middle. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 10:19:22 AM »
Just because a business close does not mean business is bad they might not be doing things right aka bad biz management.  We just had a printer go out of biz close to us and it was not becuase of the slow down it was all him he cheaped himself out of business, didn't paid his bills right etc.  We are so poor in our area we never knew were broke in the first place.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!