Author Topic: New to everything! More desire then brains  (Read 3454 times)

Offline Phinque

New to everything! More desire then brains
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
Hello All,

I worked in the corporate life for 24 years and that changed the end of last year and now I'm starting my own Screen Printing business. I’m starting with nothing but a 2,000 SF workspace and a lot of desire. I do realize I have a lot to learn and willing to put in the time. This site was recommended to me from one of your members and it looks like a great site to gather much needed information and guidance.
The Phinque

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: New to everything! More desire then brains
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:14:31 PM »
Hello right back atcha!
I hope that we do help you in your adventure
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »
Welcome. 

Look for good used quality equipment over "start up" packages.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »
Oh, and did your recommending friend warn you that the new guy buys a round? ;D

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »
Welcome!!  Come on in. Many of us have been in that old "corporate world" and have left it for one reason or another. We can all say we are much happier doing what we are doing and I'm sure you will be also.

I say congratulations on your new adventures!!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Phinque

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »

"Oh, and did your recommending friend warn you that the new guy buys a round"

I knew there had to be a catch to this! Well worth the price for all the dumb questions I'm going to have.
The Phinque

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »
Well, that's what the Newbie section is for.

Wayne already gave good advice (probably learned the hard way), echoing my sentiments of staying clear from bargain start-up packages, and going for used commercial quality from the get-go.

Offline Phinque

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 12:30:43 AM »
Thanks for the equipment advice, I have read that M&R and Riley Hopkins are good equipment so I think I will start there, am I missing any other companies I should look at and where is the best place to find used equipment?

I also need to figure out what size to look for. 4, 6 or 8 color and number of stations. I'm taking a 3-day course next month and will probably wait to purchase after the class.

Another question I have is what associations should I be looking at and are there any shows coming up I should attend. I figure that would be a great place to learn more about the business.

Thanks again for all your help.
The Phinque

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 12:37:58 AM »
I would probably advise to look at something other than Riley Hopkins for a manual press. I would look at Antec, M&R, R. Jennings, Workhorse, Anatol or Hopkins-BWM. With any manual press I would suggest also to not get any beginner or entry level press.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 03:22:10 AM »
I would add a Vastex 2000HD to the list of presses to look out for. Get at least a 6-color press regardless of make.
Watch Craigslist, as well as the classifieds of any screen printing forums, for presses. Since you're new at this, if you see something you might want post a link (and a picture if possible) to the ad so that we might better advise. Have cash and a truck or trailer ready to jump on a good deal. JMHO.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 07:13:10 AM »
Take the Riley Hopkins off your list. Not worth spending your money on.

Offline Phinque

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
Found this on ebay, haven’t read much about the manufacturer but it looks like the size is about right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271004563354?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Cost of shipping might be a deal breaker but wanted some feedback on size and manufacturer.
The Phinque

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:23:15 AM »
Don't know how close to Austin you are, but Alan runs a school and has a GREAT shop... they turn out some incredible product.

PLUS, he has a Vastex for sale as well. :)

*edit* that press on Ebay is a good press.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
Closer to home, Douglas Grigar and The Grendel is in Colorado, and has classes in Denver, in fact, some coming up in July.

http://www.thegrendel.com/

I would also try to stay closer to home, if possible, in my search for equipment, and start with Craigslist.
If you connect with Doug, you may also have an in to the locals and semi locals perhaps moving up or getting out of the business.

I have always recommended a good relationship with local suppliers as especially, their traveling sales reps seem to really have a finger on the pulse of the area's industry developments, and often know of used equipment.

Offline Phinque

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »
Thanks Frog,

I actually signed up for the class in July and went and visited the facility "Rockstar" where the class will be held. I'm probably going to wait for equipment purchase until after the class when I have a better idea of my needs. That been said, if a great deal presents itself I probably won't be able to hold myself back.
The Phinque