Author Topic: Shop Floor..?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Shop Floor..?
« on: May 26, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »
I am getting an auto soon...early july...I want to redo my shop floor..Not sure what to use.

The landlord painted it but I think used some paint that just flaked off or wore out, and i can't really mop it or anything..

In rockers pic of his new press his floor is the grey smooth..thats what i want so i can sweep and mop..I'm getting tired of this nasty looking floor..

So what is that particular type of paint? take long to dry?

I really want to get it done before the auto comes..

Thank you!!@

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Shop Floor..?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
go to a professional paint shop...either Sherwin Williams/Porter/Benjamin Moore or a brand like that.  They will know of the most durable products.  The garage floor paint from Home Depot isn't bad either, but you can get better stuff for a little more money usually.

Prepping the floor will be the hard part.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »
Yeah, take a look around at some of the garage forums (they have garage nerds like us screen printing nerds) and they know all about this stuff.

Some good stuff is out there.  I was looking into just this thing many years back for a fancy garage that I was going to build along with my house but plans changed.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:08:17 AM »
great idea..paint store just down the street from me...I forgot about it even though I pass it everyday..LOL

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »
Painting a floor properly is a very involved process. I will list the steps-

1) sweep the floor and mop with a good degreaser
2) etch the floor with muriatic acid or a safer etch gel
3) rinse thoroughly and let dry for a few days
4) check for moisture by taping a piece of clear plastic to the floor and let sit for a few hours. If you see moisture on the plastic, continue to let dry and perform the test until no moisture is present.
5) prime the floor with a 2 part epoxy primer.
6) let dry overnight
7) paint with either a 2 component water based epoxy or a 2 component urethane.
8) let dry for a week before running forklifts on it, 24 hours for foot traffic.

Again this is the proper way but we all know everyone won't do it 100%. I recommend PPG/Porter products. Expensive but when painting a floor you don't want to cheap out.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
Oh I forgot, you could stop at the primer part but you would have a semi gloss/satin finish as opposed to a high gloss finish of the topcoats.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »
Painting a floor properly is a very involved process. I will list the steps-

1) sweep the floor and mop with a good degreaser
2) etch the floor with muriatic acid or a safer etch gel
3) rinse thoroughly and let dry for a few days
4) check for moisture by taping a piece of clear plastic to the floor and let sit for a few hours. If you see moisture on the plastic, continue to let dry and perform the test until no moisture is present.
5) prime the floor with a 2 part epoxy primer.
6) let dry overnight
7) paint with either a 2 component water based epoxy or a 2 component urethane.
8) let dry for a week before running forklifts on it, 24 hours for foot traffic.

Again this is the proper way but we all know everyone won't do it 100%. I recommend PPG/Porter products. Expensive but when painting a floor you don't want to cheap out.

This is impossible...I have to keep working...maybe do half then other half?

Offline Northland

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »
I've used Rust-oleum Epoxy Shield a couple times. Spending the extra money for the professional grade (a two part solvent based product)  is a better investment.. it's really durable.
I've got two seasons on a garage floor (hot tires, salt, sand,slush) and it still looks great.
I did a 20' x 24' floor for about $300... that included a fair amount of patch product too.
It can be slipperly when dry...  they sell an additive (sand?) that will give the surface extra grip.

As mentioned... the prep is critical. If your floor has a loose coat of paint you're screwed...

Pardon the cheesy spokespersons.... the product is better than the salespitch.

Rust-Oleum EPOXY SHIELD Garage Floor Coating Demo
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:17:13 PM by Northland »

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
Yes you can do half but seriously if you want to get it done in a weekend this would be what I would do.

I would scuff sand the floor and mop with a degreaser on Friday and then come in Saturday night or Sunday morning and put a coat of the water based epoxy down. You should be ok with that, you may have bubbles here and there but you could pop them and touch up those areas. Like north said their is an additive for slip resistance and its actually aluminum oxide that you can mix in the paint but the best results are to broadcast it on top of the wet paint.

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
2 part epoxy is affordable for some areas. Prep is key. Wears like iron. Can put cute little flakes in it. We use it in breakroom as it is cleanable with our floor machines. and moppable. Seems to not be so damm slick if get it wet as well.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 08:50:18 AM »
thanks guys...I really knew nothing about this..i really want to do it before the auto arrives, but not sure if I have the time..

Maybe I'll just get some yahoo to do it...LOL

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
How many sq ft are you wanting to coat?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
Looked into this when I moved into my new shop. The good two part stuff was going to be $1200 or more for a floor I didn't own. Ended up with the one part, and only in the back under the presses and screen/ink areas. I too did not have enough time to do the whole thing. Sweeping, mopping, sprinkling acid in a can evenly, rinsing with gallons of water and then drying takes time. A lot of it.

It's held up well where I need it. Makes wiping spills up easy. If you dont go all the way go with something, but dont skimp on prepping.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »
We did our shop floor with a product from Sherwin Williams and it has been great.  Ink on the floor wipes right up and press wash will not eat through it (this was not the case with the garage floor paints I have used before).  I do not remember the product name but I think we may have some at the shop so I will see if I can find it.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »
I think its like 600-700 sq ft.

It used to be an old kitchen...There are tiles on half of it so maybe I am going in the wrong direction..