Author Topic: Are these Newman frames  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: Are these Newman frames
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
$20 is too much I think, but the inability to get to 50 newtons, since award winning work is being done with 25 newtons on static frames, should not really figure in.

Steve

I'm not worried about 50 N/cm, if I could get them to 30-35 I would be OK with it. At least I would be able to control it and not be at the mercy of the mesh/frame.
But what bugs me is that I was sold something I did not asked for. This will be the last time I'm dealing with this "reputable" company (not Sonny or anybody else I mentioned before in my posts).

Gilly, sign me up too :)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 12:05:36 PM »
You guys are pretty funny.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
I send an email to Don Newman asking him about the frames and if I could hold 30-35 N/cm on those:

"No the original M-1 NRFrames were engineered for only 20 to 22 Newtons back then.
And the hardware on your 30+ year old M-1 frames are corroded and the small plastic hardware will not likely make it that high in Newtons. If it does manage to get to 20 or 22 Newtons, it will not last very long before they break. I hate to see so many well meaning printers taken of advantage of like this.

This happens to a lot of printers buying used frames. They are often not the model frames they need, very dirty, and damage that becomes obvious after a while, or there is hidden damage
inside of the rollers and components.

I suggest you work to return them and get all of your money back."

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 12:24:11 PM »
FYI, New MZX's are only rated for 30N/cm.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
I've got 20 of those frames with the composite corners in pristine condition.  They are perfect for the Murakami S thread mesh, but anything needing more tension doesn't work well.  I stretched a 135/48 on one a while back and got it to 25 newtons with about the same bowing as a 10 year old M3 has at 50-55 newtons.  I thought about using mine to put low mesh/thin thread/thick stencil for athletic numbering but also thought about giving them away to whoever buys the vastex manual.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.