Author Topic: Anyone tear a muscle in their shoulder or back?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
Anyone tear a muscle in their shoulder or back?
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
What is the recovery time after surgery? :'(

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Anyone tear a muscle in their shoulder or back?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
I have a torn rotator cuff and hemmoraghed tricep, when i finally go for surgery it is going to be about six months with a lot of therapy. The shoulder is tricky and the most complex joint in the body, if not taken care of well after surgery it can litter ally lock up and become worse of a problem.
"No man is an island"

Offline studog

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
  • I am back
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
I had rotar cuff. bone chips, shredded labrum, and arthritis bad in my left shoulder operated on last July. It still gets sharp pains, have trouble reaching high. And that is my good shoulder. I wonder why I played all those sports when I was younger. I had to sleep sitting up in a chair for 6 weeks which was a big pain. Dr. says it takes at least 1 year to recover completely. I don't know if I'll have my other one fixed or not. I figure I'm half way done with life and probably can stand the pain another 50 years...lol. Make sure yo get a Dr. that specializes in shoulders.

Offline jesterapparel

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »
I have a torn rotator cuff and hemmoraghed tricep, when i finally go for surgery it is going to be about six months with a lot of therapy. The shoulder is tricky and the most complex joint in the body, if not taken care of well after surgery it can litter ally lock up and become worse of a problem.

I had an MRI today on the shoulder area and all the nurse could tell me when she called was I have a tear and there setting me up for an appointment with a surgeon I believe.  My family doctor was out but is calling Monday.  That is all the nurse was allowed to tell me.

How this all happen is a long story but it happen four years ago and I had two elbow surgeries.  Pain was still there and now they found this.
If it is 6 months I'm screwed.  Hell, if it's 6 weeks I'm screwed.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
I tore my labrum, tore my scapula, and had tendinitis in my rotator cuff with a possible tear. My shoulder was literally popping in and out of the socket. They wanted to do surgery to anchor the shoulder back in the socket. I did not do it. I took 800mg of ibuporofen every morning and afternoon. Icing. Heat. Soaking in hot tubs. I then rehabbed it at home with light weight shoulder exercises. It took about a year but I feel great. I started working out again a couple of weeks ago (not going too crazy) and it feels perfect.

In it's peak my whole body felt like it was decomposing. I was in severe pain. Other muscles and joint were feeling the toll from compensating. I was told the surgery would have put me on the shelf for 2 months. I know that those are usually generous time frames,but I did not want to go that route.

Good luck!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
I am trying to avoid surgery. I havemsomemgood physical therapy lessons to help excersize other muscles to compensate. If I never do surgery I will never lift my left arm above horizontal nor be able to hold anything above my head with two arms, but I am fortunate it is mymleftand not my dominant arm. All this was caused by a bone spur tha I never felt except for in my elbow until the day my tricep detached.
"No man is an island"

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »
I must be lucky I skateboarded for 20 years and took some pretty hard falls but never broke anything. I've rolled my ankle so many times I'm surprised I'm not walking with a limp. "Knock on wood"