Author Topic: WOW white  (Read 1888 times)

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
WOW white
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:48:48 PM »
Just checking what other shops out there are using for a WOW white. Anything from sim process to just simple, large spot color art. Been using QCM and Wilflex in different scenarios. Roller frames on auto. You guys? Thanks!

- Brandon

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: WOW white
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
Just checking what other shops out there are using for a WOW white. Anything from sim process to just simple, large spot color art. Been using QCM and Wilflex in different scenarios. Roller frames on auto. You guys? Thanks!

- Brandon

mixing white for the highlights (Union Unimatch) when printing process(last as highlight rather than crush) , regular white (EZ Print from union or the house white from Multicraft) for spot, also last on the press . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »
I used to love using the QCM WOW White base right out of the bucket for this.  It was perfect for 99% of wet white printing for us.

Nowadays, I start with WFX Epic Quick and extend with a mix of fashion soft, soft hand base and QEC Viscosity Buster (rarely) until it's the right white for the application. 

I could see the Extender base + Soft Hand Base + White PC working out decent as well. 

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:09:57 AM »
Thanks Chris and Pierre. I love QCM for everything they / Colin has done for us. However, sometimes it seems the consistency of their inks changes these days with the relocation to the East Coast. Hopefully that will be fixed soon. But we used to use their WOW white out of the bucket as well but we have been modifying it lately or have been mixing with Wilflex. Just curious as to what others were using. Thanks guys!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
Disclaimer: the below pertains to an out of business entity, not to Rutland and the QCM brand currently

I 86'd QCM (before the Rutland buyout or whatever happened there) because the inconsistencies went from moderate annoyance to straight up mis-formluated ink.  We lost $$$ dollars because of this and, even then, might have stuck with the ink but they paid at least one other shop out of insurance for returned printed goods on a job due to mis-formulated ink but gave us the run around.  I believe our supplier at the time, Westar, ate the cost of the ink and replaced it for us.  We ate the cost of the returned goods and lost two good clients.  I was almost livid about it.  They made a very big error by sending out this ink and although our clients were very kind about it, they aren't coming back to us and we now have some word on the street that "Zoo City Apparel's prints fade out or bleed after washing or even before".   Believe this or not, in 5 years of printing I've never had a washout or crock issue, not a single return because of this.  So there goes that.

I sorta kicked myself when we sold out all our QCM stock as I only had to discard about a gallon or maybe two of it and was able to modify the rest of the problem inks back to proper formulation and then a company that presumably knows how to manufacture ink consistently acquired the brand.  My thought would be that, unless you are still getting stock from WA, the new Rutland-made QCM ought to be nice and consistent.  Then again, I'm unfamiliar with Rutland and their manufacturing consistency.  But all in all, this is great ink and the company used to have the best tech support, hands down, in the biz in Colin, not sure who the genius was that didn't hire him back on at Rutland, presuming that was the case. 

For what it's worth, Wilfex has been right on the money, every bucket, so far.