Author Topic: Help with Foil  (Read 5132 times)

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Help with Foil
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »

Looking for some tips on foil application, I was experimenting  the other day and was not very successful. Foil did not adhere very well.

I have heard some use Plastisol ink and some use foil adhesive, why use one over the other?
do you need a heavy deposit of ink?
Temp, time and pressure for heat press?
Do you need to let the garment cool before removing foil?

Any tips are much appreciated
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
Re: Help with Foil
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:20:34 PM »
i tried with adhesive and plastisol.  Plastisol works better for me, and i already have it on hand.  I let it cool for about 10 secs.  med. to heavy pressure for about 20 seconds.  Time and pressure is the key to getting it right.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »
The most success I have had with foil is using foil adhesive. I prefer the adhesive trasfer over a direct print because it gives you a smoother surface to apply the foil to. As with any transfer application your temp/pressure/time is very important. I apply the transfer @350f for ten sconds with medium pressure.  The foil is then applied @ 350 for 3 seconds medium pressure.The garment must be completely cooled before removing the foil. Go to Union Ink website to get all the specifics on the transfers and the foil. Hope this helps.
Dale Hoyal

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »
also if you use plastisol, use a color similar to your foil for best results.  thats important.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:24:40 PM »
We use the plastisol and works fine. You do have to lay down a smooth layer of ink, if too thin and the weave of the shirt is showing the foil will not stick in the valleys and you will have a speckled effect.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
I tried Union plastisol and I couldn't get it to work for the life of me.  I spent a couple of hours trying different plastisols/mesh only to finally use Union adhesive and bam, instant success.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »
really thick layer of foil adhesive. P/F/P through a 110. we flash and press the foil without curing the adhesive completely. Press the foil, about 10 seconds, medium pressure. Rub it with a shirt and let cool completely! Then peel. We get 100% coverage without any pinholes what so ever and the edges are super crisp.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »
Don't forget to add foil release to your other inks if doing multi-color or use waterbase for your other colors.

If you don't.. the foil will adhere to the entire print surface.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »
You can also use the foil scraps for the touch ups, by just repressing the booboo spot and save the new stuff.

I use plastisol the same color as the shirt in a 110.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
You can also use the foil scraps for the touch ups, by just repressing the booboo spot and save the new stuff.

Why the same color as the shirt? Some others use a color close to the foil color to help mask wear and flaking for a while.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:27 AM »
I heard somewhere to use high-density ink. I have never done it, I use a 50/50 plastisol / adhesive and get good results. I also P/F/P like pierre said. I think my next job I will do it with high-density just to see. Never have used the stuff but is sounds like a good idea.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:09 AM »
. Never have used the stuff but is sounds like a good idea.

Famous last words!!

it was probably someone who figured it was a good way to get rid of some old ink stock.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 07:22:47 AM »

Why the same color as the shirt? Some others use a color close to the foil color to help mask wear and flaking for a while.

Don't really know. I liked black ink on a black shirt I just stayed with the idea. You know me and my crazy ideas.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »
I have used a high density clear/gel for foil. A 60x screen with 400 micron stencil. The foil is applied by hand as the shirt exits the dryer. Not good for large coverage but to highlight certain areas of the design.
Dale Hoyal

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »
I have used a high density clear/gel for foil. A 60x screen with 400 micron stencil. The foil is applied by hand as the shirt exits the dryer. Not good for large coverage but to highlight certain areas of the design.

I have seen that done at the SGIA show last year and it was impressive! Purchased the shirt just to be able to check it out.
An industry expert I talked to recently also suggested using clear gel rather than adhesive.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!