Author Topic: DrDot  (Read 3219 times)

Offline drdot

• Verified/Junior
DrDot
« on: May 05, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
Hello everyone, Mark Coudray here.  

I've pretty much avoided forums in the past because the topics and discussions tend to get off topic easily and pretty irrational.  I love good reasoned discussion, but I hate ego driven rants that can't be backed up with sound references.  So far I like what I see here. I recognize a lot of names from previous boards and forums.

My posts here are going to fall into two main categories. The first will be in depth technical. This may be over your head a bit if you're just getting going, but no worries. Unfortunately there is a great deal of misinformation that shows up and gets repeated in this business. There are a few of us old timers who actually have been trained in the science of imaging. I tend to validate experience based on the math and science behind it. If the physics, chemistry, or math don't make sense, then chances are pretty good you've got a random occurrence that's going to be hard to repeat. If I see something I disagree with, this is how I'll justify my position, NOT by what Coudray thinks or says. We'll see how this goes.

Second, many of you know I closed my printing operation in January after 38 yrs. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Bill Hood wrote a nice article on his Solutions Journal about why I did. It's probably not what you think unless you know the story. Anyway, I've saved (preserved and archived) my work since I started printing in 1969. Many of these legendary prints have been preserved in plastic bags for almost 40 years, along with all the production notes that went with them.

I think all of you would find it interesting to see how 85 lpi 4CP was done in 1978, and to trace the discoveries and developments over the last 4 decades. I haven't decided where I'm going to post the full case studies, it will probably be on the new NetSeps.com site.  It has been completely redesigned on a blog platform that will allow for comments on each post. There's alot of great tech info and tutorials and all that is free for your enjoyment and education. The new site will be live by June 1st. However, I would like to keep the detailed technical discussions in a forum like this.

Finally, many of you have followed my writing and speaking over the years. With the current state of the publishing and trade show industries, there is no longer an outlet for extensive technical writing or presentation.  I'm moving most of the new stuff onto the internet where I can go in depth, something I haven't been able to do for the last 4-5 years now.

You'll all be happy to learn there is some amazing new material about to be released. Not all of it is printing related, but all of it will help you to become better printers, and more profitable businesses.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:18:57 PM by drdot »
Expert halftone and color separation software, 38 yrs experience in textile and graphics screen printing, worldwide consultant, Member Academy of Screen Printing Technology, http://netseps.com, http://www.tshirtsuccess.com, http://halftonemastery.com

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
Re: DrDot
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »
Good to see you here.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »
I think all of you would find it interesting to see how 85 lpi 4CP was done in 1978, and to trace the discoveries and developments over the last 4 decades.

Darn skippy I would.  Welcome aboard.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
Mark,
It's a pleasure to have you. We all know your tops among guru's. You're like that old EF HUTTON commercial, "when EF HUTTON speak....everybody listens". :)
Don't be surprised if I don't challenge you on something though. I'll be probably be wrong, but I won't know it. ;D

Thanks for coming in. Next time I'm out your way, Lets get all of you'z Californians to stop on in someplace for one big Dinner. We can take over the Ponderosa.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
This board just gets more and more awesome.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »
Welcome Mark.  You don't even have to wipe your feet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is a big deal. I read Control Without Confusion when it was first published, and it came with the sample Nocona Boot shirt. Very glad to see you here. We did an 85 line job the other day (it's the 4th run) and when we did it the first time, it was 85 lpi by mistake, but damn, it worked great... Now I can feel somewhat vindicated for outputting it at 85...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
I'm jumping the gun here, but 85 lpi....you can successfully output those dots on an epson?  Sounds like work for an imagesetter to me.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
Hi Mark....Hope all is well with you and your family. Its sad but true the trades have been pretty useless for the last five ys or so. Back in the 80s we would fight over who got a hold of them first. But its a darn good thing you're on board here....pretty fair and balanced so far.
I'm sure you'll keep the rest of honest!
Respectfully yours tp

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 03:24:06 PM »
Howdy Mark
We are certainly looking forward to the great addition you will make to the mix here.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »
Freaking Awesome!  There are a number of forum posters I pay more careful attention when they post something and Mark will most certainly be on the top of that list.  This is really one of the best things that could happen here.  Stand Back Burritos and let's learn.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »
I'm jumping the gun here, but 85 lpi....you can successfully output those dots on an epson?  Sounds like work for an imagesetter to me.

Xante ScreenWriter 3, actually. I'm going to try an 85 lpi on the 1400 to check it out, but I don't expect it to be too clean...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »

Xante ScreenWriter 3, actually. I'm going to try an 85 lpi on the 1400 to check it out, but I don't expect it to be too clean...

Steve

Those are laser printers?

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 08:12:11 PM »
Mark,

You where instrumental in helping us make the leap into the digital age while I was at Denver's Golden Squeegee. Now I have finally made the leap into digital printing too. it has been a great way to fill the need for one or two custom garments that " Don't look and feel like a transfers"
Plus with our printer we can pretty much print the entire front of a Hoodie in full color photographic. even a screen run of 24 would be crazy expensive.

What's your take on the need for RIP software for digital inkjet printing? I still use post script for my spot films. Why do we need rip? do you know?
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 12:42:33 AM »
Welcome Mr. Coudray! Most awesome to see you here.

Admins...can we officially change the name of this forum now? Every day this forum is recursively validated by more and more true professionals and experts joining. Time to put the past to bed!

Maybe call it "proscreenprintforum.com" or something cool like that?

(that domain is available BTW...)
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)