Author Topic: $200 waste of time and money.  (Read 1020 times)

Online farmboygraphics

$200 waste of time and money.
« on: October 08, 2024, 10:34:03 AM »
Possible user error? Maybe.
There's a reason I haven't seen any videos of anyone actually printing hoodies with these, yes I know the black is recommended,
but I'm not buying a whole other set of boards for these silly a$$ things. Wasted about 10 hoodies trying to get these to work.
Changed pressure and speed, also got them super tacky, but they just don't hold fleece well and they have a little flex (sponginess) to them.
Again, may just be me not using it correctly, I don't want to bash someone's product just because it didn't work for me.
Sometimes there's just not an easier way.
Tees and Coffee

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: $200 waste of time and money.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2024, 11:52:54 AM »
Im not sure what that is?

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2024, 12:10:01 PM »
PrintGrip
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Online farmboygraphics

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2024, 12:34:04 PM »
PrintGrip

8 of them, they stuck to each other pretty good. Lesson learned...No Shortcuts.
Tees and Coffee

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2024, 12:42:44 PM »
PrintGrip

8 of them, they stuck to each other pretty good. Lesson learned...No Shortcuts.

I use Web spray tack (Cammie 385), slow but gets the job done and I just change the pallet tape after we are done
« Last Edit: October 08, 2024, 01:00:35 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2024, 12:56:17 PM »
Switched over to liquid wb tack (Used for decades when I had belt printers and introduced it to the platen people back in the day. Some might not know this, but liquid glue can last for more than a month (in non fleece season!). It reactivates with water and a scrub from a push broom replacement head. Heat and go. Some think the boards lose tack but its just lint that needs to be scrubbed off. Same with the double sided tack tape that Duane and I used at JSR Direct.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2024, 01:15:28 PM »
I believe he is just trying to share his experience with this particular product, not looking for alternatives, if I'm not mistaken.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2024, 01:37:24 PM »
Yeah I've not tried the Print Grip yet. If its a problem for fleece I might not

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2024, 01:45:38 PM »
Switched over to liquid wb tack (Used for decades when I had belt printers and introduced it to the platen people back in the day. Some might not know this, but liquid glue can last for more than a month (in non fleece season!). It reactivates with water and a scrub from a push broom replacement head. Heat and go. Some think the boards lose tack but its just lint that needs to be scrubbed off. Same with the double sided tack tape that Duane and I used at JSR Direct.

garston carried the double sided tack paper, they were bought by Tubelite, then tubelite was bought by grimco.  long story - grimco no longer carries it and i havent been able to find anything close.  the stuff garston carried was perfect. we could leave it on for a week and scrub and it would work fine.

right now we are using something from grimco that is advertised as a double sided tack but it lasts for about a day. all 5 autos are frustrated at the tack letting go after 6 hours. when you scrub to get the lint off - the glue comes off the board.

Tony - whats the brand of liquid glue you are using? theres about a hundred on the market.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2024, 02:29:59 PM »
Tekmar TB-HV. Just right for me anyway. I never water it down however, with fresh paper we'll often apply two coats wet on dry. Lasts even longer. If you're still doing all those thousand black shirt runs it should work great for you. If you lose tack in the run we just run the shirts of, water scrub, quick flash, and back running. Just like the Garston stuff. Cept a lot cheaper ;)

Online farmboygraphics

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2024, 05:01:08 PM »
I believe he is just trying to share his experience with this particular product, not looking for alternatives, if I'm not mistaken.

This^
I've been using the TB-10 for years. Right out of the bucket with a squirt bottle and small foam roller. Works great.
I saw something shiny and kinda new and gave it a go. Pass. If you have a press dedicated to just tees these may work great for you.
I really should have paid better attention to the video from Ryonet when they put adhesive on top of the fleece lint instead of cleaning them.
Live and learn and learn and learn some more.  ;D
Tees and Coffee

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2024, 01:31:24 PM »

THIS

I would apply thinned down wb tack with a small foam paint roller. Super even coverage, better than using a card. Flash dry. After awhile, scrub with water and a stiff brush to remove lint, flash dry again, perfectly tacky again. Once in awhile add a little more wb tack.

I had the same application of pallet tape on for 5 months at one point before I did web tack and had to change out.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2024, 03:00:54 PM »

THIS

I would apply thinned down wb tack with a small foam paint roller. Super even coverage, better than using a card. Flash dry. After awhile, scrub with water and a stiff brush to remove lint, flash dry again, perfectly tacky again. Once in awhile add a little more wb tack.

I had the same application of pallet tape on for 5 months at one point before I did web tack and had to change out.

We switched from liquid adhesive to Printgrip because we were losing tack on larger WB runs.

We ran the same print grip on a 16 color press for about 8 months before having to change it out.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2024, 04:45:04 PM »
That is definitely interesting.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2024, 04:43:55 AM »
You know you can get PrintGrip from the original manufacturer in China for a fraction of the price. And it comes on rolls. And you can choose from two different widths.
Gives you much more flexibility.