Author Topic: M&R Blue Max stretcher  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
M&R Blue Max stretcher
« on: August 03, 2024, 02:50:57 PM »
I was in helping clean out our old shop and we have a Blue Max air stretcher that someone can have for free if they want to pay the freight or drive here to get it. Otherwise, it will be thrown out in the next week or so. Our 26 year old MHM 10/12 is being dismantled for scrap. Really crazy to me though, is a 6 year old Interchange MD-8 also went for scrap, as the new owner couldn't find a buyer. But anyway, if someone needs a stretcher, it's free!

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: M&R Blue Max stretcher
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 09:03:36 AM »
Crap, that's crazy. Our MD-8 is 15 years old and running great, that would have made a fantastic oven for someone.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2024, 09:36:56 PM »
I know, it's mind boggling. I'm thinking I've retired at the right time. The guy who bought our company says he did the homework, and all electric was the way to go, it would actually be cheaper than gas, and that has never been true in this area...

Steve

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2024, 11:17:43 AM »
I know, it's mind boggling. I'm thinking I've retired at the right time. The guy who bought our company says he did the homework, and all electric was the way to go, it would actually be cheaper than gas, and that has never been true in this area...

Steve

I prefer gas.  Better heat consistency, almost 50% less cost to run.  To be fair we did go from a 5' wide to a 4' wide chamber.  So it wasn't apples to apples.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2024, 04:51:06 PM »
that sucks!!

We would have totally taken the MD8  :(

Its gotta be better than our Precision. I just spent a weekend swapping the blower motor bearings... Had to shim it because the previous one was totally blown out and the shaft had some wear. What a freaking PIA. Looking for a newer Sprint 2000, or 3000 come winter but the MD8 i'd run if its a little better insulated. Main goal is to improve the working conditions here. The precision gives off a lot of effing heat. Cures a ton of shirts and it never slow but damn it s hot in July / Aug.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2024, 08:47:30 AM »
that sucks!!

We would have totally taken the MD8  :(

Its gotta be better than our Precision. I just spent a weekend swapping the blower motor bearings... Had to shim it because the previous one was totally blown out and the shaft had some wear. What a freaking PIA. Looking for a newer Sprint 2000, or 3000 come winter but the MD8 i'd run if its a little better insulated. Main goal is to improve the working conditions here. The precision gives off a lot of effing heat. Cures a ton of shirts and it never slow but damn it s hot in July / Aug.

Talk to winston about gas ovens.  He knows his stuff. (904) 343-0848  He'll steer you in the right direction for sure.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2024, 08:25:58 PM »
Had to shim it because the previous one was totally blown out and the shaft had some wear. What a freaking PIA.

Hate to break it to you but a Sprint 3000 is also a PITA to swap bearings. If the shaft is damaged or worn or gouged up it should probably be swapped put at the same time as the bearing set, then professionally balanced. It makes a huge difference in noise, vibration and bearing life.

Sprints are not hot to the touch so you don't really get much radiant heat off the chassis but they blow out a TON of heat from each end. Nature of the beast.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2024, 08:41:54 AM »
Had to shim it because the previous one was totally blown out and the shaft had some wear. What a freaking PIA.

Hate to break it to you but a Sprint 3000 is also a PITA to swap bearings. If the shaft is damaged or worn or gouged up it should probably be swapped put at the same time as the bearing set, then professionally balanced. It makes a huge difference in noise, vibration and bearing life.

Sprints are not hot to the touch so you don't really get much radiant heat off the chassis but they blow out a TON of heat from each end. Nature of the beast.

I've heard the same about the 3000s and bearing. i also heard it chews them up, but htat could be a balancing issue.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2024, 12:18:54 PM »

I've heard the same about the 3000s and bearing. i also heard it chews them up, but htat could be a balancing issue.
That sucks!! I actually love the simplicity of the precision. I can replace almost any part on it and its reliable (for the most part). I mean... the motor is right there, belt drive it really doesn't get any easier. The insulation just blows. I talked to Winston for a bit last week. He said the 2000's also tend to rust out for one reason or another which seems a little crazy. The dryer is the heart of the shop, and not something we switch up every day. Sometimes it seems better to stick with what you know than what you dont know.

I'd love to find a HVAC company worth a crap who could fabricate a hood for the outfeed, but it seems like everyone around here just wants to drop in new units and do compressor swaps when they're not ripping off homeowners. There doesn't seem to be much any interest in doing oddball fabrication at a screen print shop.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2024, 01:46:11 PM »
Maybe a sheet metal shop? If there is still such a thing. Decades ago we had one that made 3 separate custom screen room sinks. How about talking to the HVAC part of a local trade school? Even some of the kids would be interested maybe?

Steve

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2024, 07:01:26 PM »
Maybe a sheet metal shop? If there is still such a thing. Decades ago we had one that made 3 separate custom screen room sinks. How about talking to the HVAC part of a local trade school? Even some of the kids would be interested maybe?

Steve

Steve is right, you'll want a sheet metal shop. They'll need a pretty big brake to make a hood the width of a dryer though.

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2024, 01:56:05 PM »
We had ours made from an HVAC supply company.  They can custom make air exchangers and sheet metal boxes that a ton of ducts can tie into.  No idea what that's called.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2024, 05:54:19 AM »
New thread?