Author Topic: How do we recover from this $30.00 blank mess up?  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
How do we recover from this $30.00 blank mess up?
« on: December 01, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »
So, we have an order of about 30 jackets that are very expensive. Like $30.00 or more. (I did’t check), but they retail for $80.00. So somewhere in the $1000.00 range for cost of blanks + labor.
Our guy that printed these has left the Co and moved to Fl for other reasons.

Problem A,  The order came in from another printer (with their films) and I was not involved, and didn’t get to see or prepare films for this order. That customer gave seps and a PMS color for the teal...and our guy chose a color (based off of the color print) and didn’t look at the PMS color call out. A PMS color was indicated on the film as well.  So, they were printed with the wrong color. We had to re-do them. [size=78%]How the printer corrected it, was to blow out the teal only, and then re-align each one up and manually print each one with the new replacement color. (That actually looked good), until they came back again with more problems.[/size]

Problem B, It turns out, when they originally printed these with the wrong color, they overlooked that these were printed during a time when they had an issue with the dryer..and it was not curing correctly. Add to that, they overlooked that these were 70% poly and did not use a bleed blocker. It didn’t really bleed or migrate while correcting the first issue but because of the fact that there was no bleed blocker down first to protect the colors, ....when the printer sprayed them out...this spray out chemical bleed through, soaking into the back and apparently worked on releasing the dye. Again this was not visible at the time. He blew them out to dry with the air hose and no issues were seen at that time. So they go out to the customer again.

Problem C, Another week later, the customer sends them back again because A, they are now cracking (wasn’t cured right in the dryer)  and B, There is a stain caused by the spray out chemical that bleed through and apparently released some of the dye...and then since (a week after customer received the garments), the stain appears on every one of the jackets.

Again, that printer isn’t even here anymore. We are looking at ways to get this one recovered.

OUR NEW PLAN
The pic below shows the first letter S, completely blown out of the garment...So that might be a resolve, and then we would hand wash them...to get any remaining residue out of the material and then reprint the order completely.

The SPRAY OUT chemical used on these is Acetone. We are looking into other more friendly chemical for spray outs now, but that is what has been used on these.

1, Anyone know of any other tips to recover from this other than to just buy new blanks?

2, Can anyone recommend a good clean or “semi clean”chemical for remover?

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: How do we recover from this $30.00 blank mess up?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 03:36:56 PM »
In the past, I have experienced some issues with plastisol print in the vicinity of the blowout getting more brittle due to apparent plasticizer leaching out due to the spray-out chemicals. Not consistently, but an issue nonetheless. So, at the very least, use as little as possible, and try to reduce overspray with an eraser shield or something similar.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »

In the past, I have experienced some issues with plastisol print in the vicinity of the blowout getting more brittle due to apparent plasticizer leaching out due to the spray-out chemicals. Not consistently, but an issue nonetheless. So, at the very least, use as little as possible, and try to reduce overspray with an eraser shield or something similar.

yes, That seems to be how we got where we are now.  I’m wondering about the validity of trying to save the garments, blowing out the entire design, Then hand washing each one to get all chemicals out...and then re- printing the whole design over again with correct color...and correct cure.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 04:46:16 PM »
Sometimes, it's better to just learn from mistakes, suck it up, and start again with the reachable goal of a perfect job of which you can be proud, and the the client is appreciative. It's an expensive product and deserves great execution rather than what one can get away with.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 04:54:45 PM »
I bought some blowout from Sonny years back and it was great, didn't leave a residue or halo, but the bad part I can't remember the name of it, he bounce around so much I don't know if he would even know the name of it LOL
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 05:15:32 PM »
IMO salvaging is a poor business decision. Spending the labor to spot out or what ever only to deliver substandard product is never a WIN. All the would have/should have mumbo jumbo means nothing to the customer. Appears to be a good thing the printer moved on, a lot of errors with such an experienced staff. Be a stand up vendor and deliver top notch product, it never feels good to ship crap.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
The time will be killer, you could be doing something that makes a profit with the time it takes to blow them out and re-run. I'd replace them and move on.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Get Shirts

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 07:28:19 PM »
I’m going to second (or 3rd) the unfortunate advice to redo the job entirely. Donate the goods to a local shelter, if the client approves, and move onto something you can control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 08:08:14 PM »
spot cleaning guns are for SPOTS, not mistakes.  Buy new ones and move on.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 09:17:56 PM »
IMO salvaging is a poor business decision. Spending the labor to spot out or what ever only to deliver substandard product is never a WIN. All the would have/should have mumbo jumbo means nothing to the customer. Appears to be a good thing the printer moved on, a lot of errors with such an experienced staff. Be a stand up vendor and deliver top notch product, it never feels good to ship crap.
First time for everything. I agree with this totally.  We have a new operations Mgr that is eager to salvage the order for the owner.  My thoughts on this one align with yours.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 09:21:15 PM »
spot cleaning guns are for SPOTS, not mistakes.  Buy new ones and move on.
Ditto. I agree.  Was looking for confirmation to provide support. Someone to back me on this and it seems the consensus is to replace the items with new..and re-print as suspected. I think the new Op Mgr feels the same, but at the same time, I think he wants to put in due diligence or make  good effort.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »
The time will be killer, you could be doing something that makes a profit with the time it takes to blow them out and re-run. I'd replace them and move on.

Steve
Agreed. They may be more expensive than I had imagined, but should be less cost in the end.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 09:24:11 PM »
Sometimes, it's better to just learn from mistakes, suck it up, and start again with the reachable goal of a perfect job of which you can be proud, and the the client is appreciative. It's an expensive product and deserves great execution rather than what one can get away with.
Very true. I'm sure we will end up doing that in reality.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2020, 05:54:50 AM »
The coverup is always worse than the crime.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Croft

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »
yep have to  bite the bullet on this one, We use the Alba chem SPIF it works great but I see on the packing it seems like its not for sale in about 20 states, Its not cheap and you will spend more spraying out than replacing. I have caught guys trying to spray out mistakes on a $3 tee and using 1/2 qrt of spray.

I have used the spray out on a rag the odd time to wipe off colour on top of a print similar to you pic with some success. The cracking won't fuse back together. Either offer a huge discount or replace seems like the way to go.