Author Topic: Harbor Freight Lasers  (Read 3414 times)

Offline squeegee

Harbor Freight Lasers
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
I finally got around to picking up a few of these, actually it was my first time ever in a harbor freight...ridiculous how cheap stuff is (literally)!

My lasers seem a little on the weak (intensity) side, tried several, I don't know maybe the batteries are old?  Anyone else have this experience?

Also, where are you guys mounting them?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Harbor Freight Lasers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »
Squeegee,

I had the same problem using the lasers with the line lense on them. My shop has sky lights and there is one right over my press. If you take the black cap off the front (where the laser comes out) you can take the line lense off and you have a dot laser. Thats what I use. I don't need a laser for center on the board. I just set the lasers on top of the press. The magnets on the bottom keep them in place.

see below for that I do to print above pockets.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 07:28:57 PM »
Well, glad you are impressed with their cheap prices. 

There is a definite reason for that.  I have probably gone there my last time.  After taking back quick failing reciprocating saw(2), bench grinder, and drill press, I've learned cheap is what cheap gets.

Unfortunately all their stuff is made in......all together now....CHINA.  BUT, try to find a reciprocating saw, bench grinder, or drill press NOT made in China.  Shaking my head. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 07:49:14 PM »
The guy who just did the tile work on my bathroom, loves his "Chicago" Electric oscillating saw/tool, but he went with the biggest and heaviest version,  full aluminum housing
Around $89 bucks as opposed to the entry level version with a 2/3 plastic body and only rune $19!

For what it's worth, to be fair, the Chinese stuff is no worse than their Taiwanese counterparts from 30 years ago.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline squeegee

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »

There is a definite reason for that.  I have probably gone there my last time.  After taking back quick failing reciprocating saw(2), bench grinder, and drill press, I've learned cheap is what cheap gets.

Unfortunately all their stuff is made in......all together now....CHINA.  BUT, try to find a reciprocating saw, bench grinder, or drill press NOT made in China.  Shaking my head.

Yea that was my impression, cheap.  Still some odd ball unique items you don't see in most stores.  Almost bought a micrometer just to have one but passed.  I picked up a digital dial indicator which actually seems nice. 

Offline easyrider1340

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:09 AM »
Thank you for the pics - I really like this idea.   Where do you place the lasers on the press, if I might ask?  Do you have any pics of the placement?

Thanks again.
Terry

Squeegee,

I had the same problem using the lasers with the line lense on them. My shop has sky lights and there is one right over my press. If you take the black cap off the front (where the laser comes out) you can take the line lense off and you have a dot laser. Thats what I use. I don't need a laser for center on the board. I just set the lasers on top of the press. The magnets on the bottom keep them in place.

see below for that I do to print above pockets.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:31:32 AM »

I bought a new Skil worm-drive circular saw off eBay. Was kind of surprised to find out it was made in China, although the thing will saw through anything without bogging down.  Pretty much everything is now, as you noted.

As for Harbor Freight, it's the place to shop for tools you intend to abuse mightily for a very short time, or a tool you know you'll use once or twice in a lifetime, or something like the service cart I bought that is so simple that even their cheap steel and shoddy craftsmanship can't eff-up.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »
they have some really cool magnetic holders that mount on tool boxes.  I got some for the side of our dryer for paper towels, glue and press wash...very handy.

Some of their stuff is great.  Their sawz-alls are good, except they don't have a quick change blade holder.  Big drawback.  So now I have 2!

And yes, almost all tools are made in China.

A good place to shop though is the Direct Tools Outlet.  They make everything from Hoover to Ryobi to Milwaukee.  I got a sweet Rigid miter saw and stand there fairly cheap.  They were both refurbs with a good warranty.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »
I bought some of those cheap lasers from Harbor Freight about 3 years ago and they still work.  They may be cheap as hell but the work that we've got out of them paid for them 1000 times over.  I haven't really seen much of their inventory, I did buy a cheap scale for mixing up smaller quart sizes of discharge inks and it works great.  You can tell it's a cheap POS compared to the real scales out there, but I've had it for a few years and it still works fine, so the $20 I spent on it was well worth it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
It was just easier to make a video... 8)

Mr Tees!!...Homebrew Laser Guide System!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:00:57 PM by Mr Tees!! »
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »
It was just easier to make a video... 8)

Digging the shelf.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 06:39:51 AM »
Mr Tees, Great video.....how about sharing the P/N from Harbor Freight on the lasers and magnets, i have been all over HF can't find the MF ...can you help please with P/N or link?
thanks
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »

Item number 93242
Sent from my SCH-I100 using Tapatalk
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
Thank you Sweettes  that worked :)
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »
We all probably have seen these in the past. They are some strong mags in them, easy to modify and screw anything into them. These are from grainger but any Staples or Office Depot will have them.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=magnetic%20hook&op=search&Ntt=magnetic%20hook&N=0&sst=subset&cm_mmc=PPC:%20Google%20Main%202-_-TI%20-%20Laboratory%20Supplies-_-Hook-_-magnetic%20hook&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000001467480-_-7870117345&gclid=CI_fmbGuk60CFYPc4AodSjynlg

"No man is an island"