Author Topic: Screen Mesh Determiner  (Read 2173 times)

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
Screen Mesh Determiner
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:19:47 PM »
Hey guys I got in a nice set of remeshed screens and it seems like some of them are mislabeled.

Of course I've lost the 3 in 1 mesh determiner.

Before I drop the cash on another one I figured I'd ask, does anyone have a file I can print out on my own for this purpose?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Screen Mesh Determiner
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
I would send you mine but I don't think it would work for a few reason's coming from my setup to your setup....I might try later to scan and print mine to see if it would work.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »
On the other hand, if you have some known examples as a gauge, with a little practice, one can recognize the sound made with a gentle stroke of a fingernail, especially if there is a big jump between mesh count numbers.
A 110 sounds obviously "rougher" than a 260, but experience and finesse will play a part in identifying the ones in-between.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »
if YOU HAVE A DIGITAL (CHEAP) MICROSCOPE  you can work this out.
I have 2 microscopes and each came with a calibration / measurement film that is set up in microns uM and such.
next you will need a typical screen mesh tech sheet reporting the mesh open area of the weave. I have attached one here for your reference.
for example from the chart below, a 160 mesh screen reports 111 microns mesh opening, a 180 reports 93 microns opening and so on.
Throw the calibration film on your print screen fire up your microscope and see what you can see measurement wise .
not the most accurate way but in a pinch you can at least determine an approximate ESPECIALLY if you have other screens with know mesh count.
At any rate if you do not have one of those handy dandy digital microscopes get you one it opens up a whole new world.
here is a typical Amazon example well under $20.00  ;)  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M2XK6BV/ref=s9_acsd_newrz_hd_bw_b25r8_c_x_w/161-0269571-6954641?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=GD9M6GB9GRBKJZ21E10S&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=af133a9d-d398-576c-8d7a-f6f89d65492a&pf_rd_i=499170
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies, very helpful!

Offline starchild

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:15:54 AM »
A mesh determiner should tell you more than just count but rather the warp and weft reading will tell you just how square/balanced the mesh is after stretching.. After balance is achieved (with the mesh determiner) you then use the tension meter to read at a given tension warrp and weft my S/S curve for that specific thread count on this brand of mesh is- (write the required tension warp and weft down for the next time you stretch that particular mesh)

You can even use marks on the mesh and strech the screen so that the mark moves a specific distance towards the frame-warp and weft- (this is stretching by percentage of elongation), use the mesh determiner for balance then record what the tension meter says..

My question is what else does knowing the exact thread count inform us about?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk