Author Topic: Installing bigger SSD, have a question  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Installing bigger SSD, have a question
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »
I am sticking in a new Samsung SSD, and though I understand the instructions, they only show it being done with a usb adapter.
They have us insert the Installation and Migration CD, then attach the adapter cable to the new drive.
I am using a SATA cable from a spare port and a spare power plug rather than the usb adapter and its combo plug. Is there any danger to the drive plugging this stuff in hot? Or, as seems logical, is it exactly the same as doing it with the powered usb adapter?
Seems to me that I remember that with HDD, connecting and disconnecting while running wasn't good, at least not with the four pin molex connectors. Am I imagining things?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
Re: Installing bigger SSD, have a question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:20:22 PM »
I did this a few months back and definitely plugged in the sata connector when the pc was off.
The most helpful thing I found was that there are 2 different software programs to help with install and migration, but only one came on the cd. Check on Samsung website for other apps to help with the changeover, I thought they were pretty good.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 10:03:58 PM »
Intuition would tell me to connect it before it's on, but damned if the installation guide doesn't say to insert the cd first, and then hook it up while the program is running.
But, as I said, they also only show it via usb adapter, and I don't know if the single data/power connector would change anything.

btw, I didn't post all of the steps, but after the Migration, they show the actual real installation, and then running another program called Magician.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:08:03 PM by Frog »

Offline mt_signex

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »
SATA does support hot swapping, but it has to be enabled/included on the controller chip/card.  Which, on most setups it would not be enabled.  It would also be somewhat risky if you were to unplug/bump another internal component while plugging it in.  For standard setups you will want to power down the pc and unplug it, tap the power button a few times to discharge any remaining static build up, connect the new drive to the SATA port and power, and then go back into Windows.  At that point you should be able to load the migration utility and transfer the data from the old drive to the new drive.  You will most likely have to format the drive before doing the data transfer.

One question is, are you replacing your boot disk or just a spare disk that you are using for files?

If it's just a spare disk (what I use to store design files) I would just format the new disk and then drag the files over.  There won't be anything locked or hidden as long as you have just rebooted and do not have any applications open using the files you are trying to transfer.

Hope it helps!

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 09:14:10 AM »
As already mentioned...SATA port on the motherboard connect with system off.  USB is ok to hot swap.

If you are looking to migrate or "clone" the system to the new SSD I recommend using a great program called Reflect.  It is available for free and fully functioning for backing up or cloning drives or partitions.

It runs from within Windows and is quite fast.
I have used it realistically on 100+ drives...highly recommend it.   

https://updates.macrium.com/reflect/v6/ReflectDLFull.exe

Best of luck,
Bill

EDIT: Forgot to add...the Magician software does not have anything to do with the migration of data.  It is an SSD management tool.  You can set different parameters with it to enhance the performance or stability of the drive.  There are also settings that allow you to optimize the OS.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:23:23 AM by Squeegie »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:49:39 AM »
I should have said, that yes, this is to replace the C boot drive that contains my Win 7 OS and most programs.
Looks like the Samsung software really is tailored to the usb adapter and I will give the Reflect program a look.

I am aso curious about the term "migration" as that, to me, implies moving rather than copying(or cloning). I'd feel a lot safer knowing that I still had the original.

Edit: I am also taking the same advice I give others and contacting Samsung Tech as they are now open.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:15:31 AM by Frog »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »
It won't delete anything, that would just be foolish.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 01:35:32 PM »
I agree, but "migration" generally means to move. Cloning makes much more sense.

So, do you recommend me using a spare power connection and sata port on the motherboard, or should I disconnect another drive temporarily and use those cables, or does is not matter?

Also, the way I understand Reflect, I need to temporarily assign the new drive an unused letter, but when I make the physical swap, it will automatically reassign it "C" and boot. I assume the machine looks for the bootable OS files no matter what letter the drive initially has. Right?

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 09:35:31 AM »
I agree, but "migration" generally means to move. Cloning makes much more sense.

So, do you recommend me using a spare power connection and sata port on the motherboard, or should I disconnect another drive temporarily and use those cables, or does is not matter?

Also, the way I understand Reflect, I need to temporarily assign the new drive an unused letter, but when I make the physical swap, it will automatically reassign it "C" and boot. I assume the machine looks for the bootable OS files no matter what letter the drive initially has. Right?

This is what I was referring to before. Samsung has a surprisingly useful tool called Migration Assistant that does the drive cloning quite neatly. It just is a web download and not on the setup disc.

I used a spare sata connector because I intended to leave the old drive in the box. Started up as normal and then used the migration tools to clone drive before changing the ssd to primary boot drive.

I'm not a tech expert and I managed it okay.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
Glad to hear that you go it cloned and were able to successfully boot from the new drive!

Was your old drive a smaller SSD or a traditional HDD?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
Update on my progress. Samsung just contacted me and assured me that I can certainly first temporarily connect the new SSD while powered down, then boot up and go with the included software, rather than the way it's shown in the instructions.

So, if things go south, I'll go with the Reflect software, but I will first certainly give the Samsung stuff a try.
Now, I just need a little down time to get to it, dag-nabbed little league teams!
I will report back.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »
Update, after talking to Samsung they reassured me that I was fine using the spare connectors in my box, booting up their cd, installing the migration program,and let it do its magic. Worked smoothly...
until I tried to boot the sucker after installing the new drive. No go! No Windows!
Hooked up the old drive and same result! Are you kidding me?
Started thinking about my restore discs or image on Ghost but first called my buddy Sean at East Bay who, like me really couldn't understand why the old drive also would stop working no matter what may have gone wrong with the migration process.
Then he asked me if I was sure that nothing was plugged into a usb, or...wait for it...the dvd drive.
DOH! Brain fart! That damn Samsung software installation disc!
What an easy fix when one knows what they're doing, LOL!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 12:19:27 AM »
Like I said, happens to me every dang time. The only time I catch it is when someone
else is describing the problem!

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
 :-[  I have never done that....  nope,  uh ah, never....no me...   :-[

All too many times....ugh.

Did you at least spend a few hours trying to figure out why before the phone a friend?  LOL

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
:-[  I have never done that....  nope,  uh ah, never....no me...   :-[

All too many times....ugh.

Did you at least spend a few hours trying to figure out why before the phone a friend?  LOL

Fifteen minutes of frustration and near panic was quite enough, thank you.
The wait came from him getting back to me.