Author Topic: Once you go wax you will never go back...  (Read 13423 times)

Offline T Shirt Farmer

Once you go wax you will never go back...
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
Had this guy for a week and man what a game changer coupled with our MHM pined press. Got off to a bit of a rocky start with Exile but everything is on track now, they are on point in every aspect of getting me dialed in. Really only had 3 solid full production days with it but reaping huge rewards already, exited to see how much pre press and on press set up time it will save.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Once you go wax you will never go back...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »
curious to see if you can get to 100% no micros needed during setup. We've tried something similar, but never to the level of the Exile setup.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:09:46 PM »
I agree 100%........ I always thought our stuff looked good until we went wax and it's taken us to an entire new level of quality. Here's a tiny print that was done today w/ HSA ink on a 225/40 mesh that we made on our wax dts. I'm sure people will challenge this but we could never get this detail with our ink jet dts machines. I can't ever see us going back to ink ever.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
Looking to compare one day.
I can see wax may have the surface tension to be sharper.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:20:16 PM by GaryG »

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »
Congrats!

Danny, what dpi are you running at?

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 09:35:51 PM »
We love our Spyder, it's a workhorse and Exile has been of great support, even updating software based upon my input.

We've had ours for around two years.

It prints 600 dpi, I think the Roq unit is 1200 dpi but not available unless you are the Ryonet Poster Child.

That's some serious detail Danny!  Interested if you are having to flash all your colors or can step on them like plastisol now that you have switched to majority of HSA prints?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:49 PM »
We love our Spyder, it's a workhorse and Exile has been of great support, even updating software based upon my input.

We've had ours for around two years.

It prints 600 dpi, I think the Roq unit is 1200 dpi but not available unless you are the Ryonet Poster Child.

That's some serious detail Danny!  Interested if you are having to flash all your colors or can step on them like plastisol now that you have switched to majority of HSA prints?

would like to know this as well.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 10:53:53 PM »
With water base we have been HSA for about two or so years now. Granted we mostly run discharge every day but HSA every other day. Therefore we do not have Danny's volume but our experience with HSA inks is flashing is needed every two or three colors max. Permaset goes about three colors tops others two. Of course the design and 20 other variables fall into play but that is just us.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 11:32:30 PM »
I'm sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. Awesome! The new equipment will be awesome for your shop. No more film to catalog alone is worth it

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 12:13:16 AM »
Congrats!

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »
Congrats!

Sounds about right.  Anything under 900 and a struggle is going to ensue trying to linearize your 1-10% range, not enough pixel to work with at 600 to get that kind of control necessary for a higher end print, imo. 

Great work as always.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »
I agree 100%........ I always thought our stuff looked good until we went wax and it's taken us to an entire new level of quality. Here's a tiny print that was done today w/ HSA ink on a 225/40 mesh that we made on our wax dts. I'm sure people will challenge this but we could never get this detail with our ink jet dts machines. I can't ever see us going back to ink ever.

A good machine is a good machine. Wax,  It's got it's benefits and there is nothing wrong about a machine that works for you.

NOTE, If you can form a single 5% dot in an 85 lpi, using ink jet and wax, then why not be able to produce that 1 color at 1/4th of that size using ink jet...as long as you use the emulsion thickness and the mesh needed. Part of my normal testing was getting 5 point type in Times Bold (with those little serifs).  - this was changed to 8 pt for the post here. You have to remember, many people see though this, because they do it themselves using their inkjet dts printers.[/font]

This detail size in your image, is not a matter of wax nor ink jet, but screen mesh selection and coating.

Now, I know nothing about the exile and have heard nothing but good things overall. Wax has it's pro's and it's cons, just as wet ink does.  Nothing wrong at all with buying either.

For the resolution, Don't confuse the printers DPI with the INK settings DPI.  There is a "printer DPI resolution" and there is an INK (also called resolution). The ink res, is often seen as 600x900, 900x900, 1200x900 in different variations (but your printer can be a 600dpi printer) for example.

INK RES is nothing more than coverage during the passes, The higher the #, the heavier the coverage, yet printed slower... while printer resolution is about the image quality,  An extreme example would be, 72ppi (jaggie stair stepped circles) versus  300ppi, smooth and clean circles.

I don't know of a true 1200 dpi (DTS printer) either in wax nor ink jet exist on the market.  Sure, there are higher dpi printers....but DTS inks and wax makes it more challenging to use higher dpi, than printing to films does. There are 300, 600 and 900 that I know of.

WET INK, is actually (more accurate) than WAX is in terms of forming a small shape. The liquid is able to land where it needs to, pretty accurately. Under a loop, leaving a little bit of what looks like rough or fuzzy or edges. (and you see that because you can actually see the picoliiters of sprays forming the shape).

The wax, doesn't do this. When it gets put down, it gathers around the shape of what it is intending to create.  Therefore, leaving more of a blob or meteorite looking irregular shape. In addition, the wax has 2-3 times more (dimension) or height than wet ink jet films. Ink jet will have dimension as well, (depending on your ink resolution), but wax is far greater. I cannot say if this has anything against cast shadows, but  good enough is good enough. They are working for many people.

The deposit consistency is just thicker in wax. This can be a good thing for printers making screens. INK, needs to build up.   For Wax printers, you don't want it to build up too heavy. It's already pretty opaque as it is.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
Exile has a new vacuum system extremely close to release, this new component along with few other things will allow them to bring there 1200 dpi head to market vey soon, I am receiving both upgrades next month. The challenge @1200 dpi is controlling the molten wax so it is the right viscosity to print yet have the ability to deliver enough material for large 100% coverage areas.

Exile has been in the making dot's business for years and have a lot of talent on the team, the parent company is http://www.geospace.com/our-companies/  giving Exile access to a lot of engineering and design talent when needed.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »
Print flash print, zero micro, I-image STE Ink Jet CTS, Synergy white, single strokes, printed on a 12 year old M&R Challenger 2, rubber topped pallets. Not too shabby for tineey tiny spot color print on what I think was 5.6 oz gildan cotton.

Oh I forgot, 2 screens.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:32:45 PM by screenprintguy »
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »
Competition is a great thing in this industry. Gives us consumers more options and more technology!