Author Topic: Has anyone cut the cord?  (Read 7282 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Has anyone cut the cord?
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
Researching options and want to get people's experiences that have stuck the middle finger to cable and satellite.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Has anyone cut the cord?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »
yeah i have. We still use comcast for internet at our house, but we don't have TV at all.

We just download and or stream whatever we want to watch.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tonyt79

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 06:18:06 PM »
We did for awhile, using jail broke amazon box and fire stick. Was nice but couldn't find a good way to watch baseball. So got cable again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 06:34:42 PM »
I found sports is the huge limitation and the possibility of needing more expensive internet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:05:13 PM »
Yep, lack of local sports the biggest turn-off for me as well. Heck, here we have almost every A's, Giants, and Warriors and Sharks games on local sports affiliate stations.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline SPX

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
Using Sony Vue which has local channels / sports + cloud dvr included.  Cost around $40ish per month and .  Stuck with comcast for internet  >:(
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:20:37 PM by SPexchange »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
Oh yeah, lotsa' Dodger games on MLB as well. ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »
yep, i watch zero sports, so no problem for me!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 08:02:38 PM »
I found Sling TV is the only one offering ESPN and then you get an antenna for local broadcast for some sports as well. I'm figuring with Sling TV, Hulu, an antenna and Internet service you would be around $80 per month. Not bad. Paying $150 or so for Internet and satellite now.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 08:34:42 PM »
went to Roku   https://www.roku.com/index     basically price of internet inter net and free TV. Really cool stuff lots of science tech you tube etc at no charge beyond the box which was $130.00 one time and can add additional TV's at @ $49.00.
Not much of a sports fan so I am not missing anything .
Should look into it really is pretty cool.
Mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »
you can stream sports in 720p (and frequently 1080p) for free pretty easily with a little googling.  I haven't had a TV for going on a decade and have never missed it honestly.  You can download or stream everything for free or pay a lot less than cable for things like netflix etc.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 12:36:05 AM »
Over a decade ago. Have saved several thousand dollars if not more. Back then it was a laptop connection now you can get a Roku for like $50

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 12:39:11 AM »
I think Roku has sports now but not 100% sure. I just watch documentaries and that dude with the crazy hair. I'm not saying its aliens but it's aliens guy.

Offline TH Apparel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 06:52:26 AM »
I did a long time ago.  Stream netflix and hulu through a smart TV.  I have a digital antenna so when we have people over we can still put on football.
I pay 29.99 a month for fios 50/50 and 10 a month for netflix...
Hulu is free if you do it right.  I use bings search engine at work and earn points.  The points can be redeemed for a month of hulu.  I haven't paid for hulu(except for the rare occasion when I forget to redeem my points) since 2011.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 06:55:08 AM »
cut the cord over 2 years ago paid $75 for an android box off amazon and have never looked back.  that was the last $ i have spent on digital entertainment.

I use a android box with kodi installed with pulse ccm build,    and i can get anything movies, sports, mma, ppv,  every soccer game on the planet, all the ncaa, nfl, nba,  tv shows, aussie shows, brit shows, news,   you name it i can get it.  just need internet and hdmi tv and you are good to go.

with that being said there is some limits but it is free so the limits are really a side issue,  and if you want 100% service then pay for it,  but if you are a good self service person then would not be an issue.   Also  you must know what you want to watch,  it does not just show shows so you can flip through channels and surf endlessly without watching a show.  if that is what you like then this is now for you.

and yes you can watch shows at the same time as others who have cable.  in fact I watch the walking dead at the same time as a friend(cable) I start about 5 minutes after him but finish before him as I have no commercials.