Author Topic: Print technique for distressed gold  (Read 2377 times)

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
Print technique for distressed gold
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »
We have an upcoming job which is a print of an album cover, and the artwork contains what looks like distressed gold foil.  Trying to figure out the best way of achieving the look, via either metallic ink or foil.  We haven't done foil in a very long time, but I'd be willing to take it on for this job if it would give the best results.

Artwork attached, would be interested to hear what others think would be the best way to achieve the look.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Print technique for distressed gold
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
Closest repro of the art would probably be a puff or hd ub for the wrinkles with foil over?

Could also do similar with the right shade of a true metallic ink with a finer particle size.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 03:05:52 PM »
Maybe.......

Super fine particle gold.... flash that, then print another layer of gold  -  but this time print another screen wet-on-wet on top of it.  Create an orange peel type effect?  It will be random each time and you will get peaks from it....  Maybe - maybe foil over it?

Otherwise a double layer of adhesive.  First nice and flat.  Second thicker layer creates the texture, as frog stated.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »
you could also mark out the platens where the circles go, crinkle up some tape for each of them...

and then print metallic/liquid gold ink over the crinkled surface.

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 03:45:42 PM »
You could try a gold base, have the texture sepped out really well, then do a few pfp of foil adhesive to build up the areas and then foil them.  Lot of work, but if you want that look, you are going to have some work ahead of you.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »
I would take some aluminum foil and crinkle it up and scan for my distressed look, then use a low mesh count and low tension screen rounded squeegee and light print pressure letting the ink pull up just a little with the screen giving you that look and if I could that would be the last print in the order. just my 2 cents
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »
Print a metallic gold luster ink.... flash it then come over the top with a highlight and shadow using tinted metallic inks. I'll try to see if I have a pic but we have done this a few times with results that look just like your art
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 05:22:42 PM »
Print a metallic gold luster ink.... flash it then come over the top with a highlight and shadow using tinted metallic inks. I'll try to see if I have a pic but we have done this a few times with results that look just like your art

Danny's will work too LOL, someone did some duct tape and it look dam near real, whom ever did that the method they use would work for this I'm sure
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »

Danny's will work too LOL, someone did some duct tape and it look dam near real, whom ever did that the method they use would work for this I'm sure

If you're talking about my print? it was just sim process with base white + liquid silver through a 180/48 + highlight white 230/40.

closeup you can see the dots...

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 06:03:33 PM »
Another way if your on a nice blank that discharges print that white background in d white then use a plastisol luster ink that is a deep gold. Get some light color gold foil and crinkle the crap out of it/rub it together making the foil very imperfect followed by heat pressing. That will also give you the effect your going for. We would probably just make it easy and use all inks to get us there though.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 09:00:03 AM »
Thanks guys, lots of great ideas here.  Will post the results once we get em on press.
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL