Author Topic: Pinball  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Pinball
« on: December 05, 2016, 04:53:40 PM »
Pinball machines came up a few days back, so I thought that I'd share a few pics of mine.
Actually, my wife went to buy a baseball machine (the type with a diamond and no bumpers) but since the dealer had this, convinced her that I'd like it better for a longer time, and he was probably right.
No body english control on the real baseball game type. Just the swing.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Pinball
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:21:50 AM »
Nice Gottlieb. 

Gottlieb was the one manufacturer I liked to work on the least....right behind Sterns. 

Gottlieb's central rotary setup was just crazy, imo.  Bally and Williams were my manufacturers of choice.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 05:40:08 AM »
nice ...is it true it takes balls to play pinball?

When I was a young school boy my best friend's father ran a lunch counter, pool hall, and something to do with little white sheets of paper with funny names and numbers on them. Anyway one of my best memories is going there after school and we would play pinball. His dad would give us a hand full of dines yes dimes and we would play for couple of hours. My homework definitely tilted but nothing else did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKbUm8GrbM
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
nice ...is it true it takes balls to play pinball?

When I was a young school boy my best friend's father ran a lunch counter, pool hall, and something to do with little white sheets of paper with funny names and numbers on them. Anyway one of my best memories is going there after school and we would play pinball. His dad would give us a hand full of dines yes dimes and we would play for couple of hours. My homework definitely tilted but nothing else did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AKbUm8GrbM
mooseman

My machine is a dime a play (3 for a quarter) though set for simple push button re-set.
btw, it does take balls, but not flippers. My first machine was a Keeney Up and Away from the '40's before they added flippers to the mix. Strictly bump and shake.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »
No Flippers ! truly a pin ball wizard. I am guessing there was no tilt mechanism either.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 09:18:07 PM »
Flippers weren't introduced until '47, but those pre-flip machines had the same hanging tilt weight (tillt bob) or someone like you would have just lifted the sucker and guided the balls anywhere he wanted!
In case you're interested in the workings...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vtd5wKh7JA

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 09:36:12 PM »
My two babies
Royal Flush
'59 Deluxe Baseball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:30:50 AM »
I happened to run across a couple of interesting sites tonight:

Playfields and backglasses:
http://www.classicplayfields.com/store.html

Backglasses and parts:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=dealers+choice

Mix of Supplies for all kinds of game devices
http://www.competitiveproducts.com/index.php

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:08 AM »
Alex, great to see! I figured that there had to be some more "ballers" here on the board.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »
I'm not into the old school ones, but I LOVE pinball machines.

I'll probably either get a Simpsons, Twilight Zone, or Adam's Family when the Escape Room is finally up and making money.

There is an emulator out there and all the ROMs for the machines... it's not quite the real thing but it's still fun and it's the real ROM so you get to still play by the same rules and actions.  The emulator is pretty good though.... it satisfied my cravings a few times to keep me from dropping 5k I didn't really NEED to spend. :)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 11:58:08 PM »
I'm not into the old school ones, but I LOVE pinball machines.

I'll probably either get a Simpsons, Twilight Zone, or Adam's Family when the Escape Room is finally up and making money.

There is an emulator out there and all the ROMs for the machines... it's not quite the real thing but it's still fun and it's the real ROM so you get to still play by the same rules and actions.  The emulator is pretty good though.... it satisfied my cravings a few times to keep me from dropping 5k I didn't really NEED to spend. :)

Ahhh, a MAME'r I see.  Qbert was one of my favs.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »
Actually it's a pinball specific emulator.

I think it's Visual Pinball... been a while since I messed with it.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 10:26:28 PM »
Oh, what I had was MAME, Multiple Amusement Machine Emulator and hundreds of ROMs from the games.  Everything from DigDug to Joust to Galaga, etc.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 01:36:56 AM »
Yeah, I know of MAME... this is pinball specific.  It's pretty slick.