Author Topic: Shop fee/plastisol sucks  (Read 7612 times)

Offline Maff

• !!!
Re: Shop fee/plastisol sucks
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2016, 08:12:54 PM »
We've started to charge more for WB/DC/HSA mainly because of the slower production speeds. We are a small shop and have to slow our dryer way down to get a proper cure.
Also ink colors often have to be tweaked and adjusted (hopefully over time we'll get better with that). 
We also consider the softer hand a Premium product so that's another point on raising the price.

Plastisol is cheaper for us, orders move faster through our shop, colors are more consistent and reliable on all materials.

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2016, 09:09:22 PM »
We are a small shop and have to slow our dryer way down to get a proper cure.

This alone is a big deal. For us, the only real motivator for WB/DC is customers who want softer prints*. Yes, faster cleanup is nice... but plastisol cleanup can be put off until it's convenient - days, if necessary. (Small shop realities). Slower output of waterbase, not so nice.

(*Okay, I want softer prints, too. Ink as soft as the shirt is a sort of holy grail for me. But it's hardly the only factor to be considered.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Online TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2016, 09:48:13 PM »
This is all just so interesting. It all comes down to what you are use to. When we migrated over to WB/DC it was to fill a demand we were seeing. It sucked for a few months. After that it is just ask around easier for us. Again for us, production speed is no different. Using a diazo emulsion I'll admit takes a few extra seconds, or even maybe extra minute to expose. But I'll take that any day as a trade off. Aside from colors that don't discharge so well, it eliminates the thought or need for underbase. We just ran 1200 hoodies today with a bright neon green, my guess is my total cost to produce those in the end is going to be cheaper than someone that would run that job in plastisol. Not to mention all the basic 1 color on black T's, for us it is really just 1 color!

I admit, in the last year probably I have become a ink/discharge snob. The feeling of plastisol on shirts really disgusts me ;D 
I don't know that anyone has ever called me "sane" or "smart" but give me a 8 color discharge job over a plastisol job any day!!  :P
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2016, 11:08:56 PM »
Regarding inks being environmentally friendly it's really only how you dispose of it. Unless you are straight water base only like Permaset and they are actually certified. And they do not make discharge for that reason.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 11:13:03 PM »
If 95 % of your work.is wb charge more for wb. Why make more on only 5%? Plus everyone will pay more for the benefit of the environment. We do it with food, car care, clothing, cars and list goes on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That doesn't make sense. We have our rates for what we print. Which is mostly water base.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 03:43:34 PM »
If 95 % of your work.is wb charge more for wb. Why make more on only 5%? Plus everyone will pay more for the benefit of the environment. We do it with food, car care, clothing, cars and list goes on.

That doesn't make sense. We have our rates for what we print. Which is mostly water base.
Um the thought being raise prices on what you do more of you will make more money than only raising it on what you do  5% of the time.

RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 04:09:23 PM »
We price for WB/DC as standard here, if that's what you mean. 

At a contract level it's normal to price low, low, low and then charge for everything on up however.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2016, 08:04:20 AM »
To put it another way  raise prices a little on everything and you always win.

RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com