Author Topic: Anyone ever tried a refurb printer?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Anyone ever tried a refurb printer?
« on: October 25, 2016, 08:52:18 PM »
Epson sells these refurbs directly, seems like I remember someone having a good experience. I can get this with an extended warranty if desired and still come out witha pretty good deal. Refillables readily available, and I already have the proper Accurip version.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?UseCookie=yes&infoType=Warranty&oid=63089025&category=Products

Anyone ever bought a refurb? Pierre, werent you involved in refurb computer stuff in a past life? Any thoughts from anyone?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Anyone ever tried a refurb printer?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:02:54 PM »
Epson sells these refurbs directly, seems like I remember someone having a good experience. I can get this with an extended warranty if desired and still come out witha pretty good deal. Refillables readily available, and I already have the proper Accurip version.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?UseCookie=yes&infoType=Warranty&oid=63089025&category=Products

Anyone ever bought a refurb? Pierre, werent you involved in refurb computer stuff in a past life? Any thoughts from anyone?

My WF1100 was sold as a refurb at Fry's, but I think that they were just returns that were checked out and given a clean bill of health.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:42:25 PM »
We have a Refurbished WF1100 and it's been working fine now for about 4 years.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:08 PM »
My 2 cents or 1.5 after inflation.

I'd feel more comfortable with a refurb over brand new as long as the refurb was a do-over by the manufacturer. 

Brand new comes off the high volume production line, mass produced, whereas refurb 'should' have gone through a different path with complete technician testing for a return.

Depending on the investment and the need, I might violate my basic instinct and think about an extended warranty.  Something I normally never get.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »
I bought an Epson 3880 refurbed by Epson. The first one had issues. Some of the print head nozzles weren't working. Contacted Epson and they shipped another one right away. I had to pay for it and then got a refund when my original printer was received. Kind of a pain, but the second printer arrived very quickly. Has run great and prints so much better than my 3000 was. I liked the price and since I bought through B&H I didn't pay sales tax. Worked out well for me.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:45:57 AM »
+1 for refurbs. I try to buy them every chance I get, directly from Epson's refurb site. I'm using a 1400 right now for films positives, and I've had several go for years without issue.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 10:50:53 AM »
I bought an Epson 3880 refurbed by Epson. The first one had issues. Some of the print head nozzles weren't working. Contacted Epson and they shipped another one right away. I had to pay for it and then got a refund when my original printer was received. Kind of a pain, but the second printer arrived very quickly. Has run great and prints so much better than my 3000 was. I liked the price and since I bought through B&H I didn't pay sales tax. Worked out well for me.

...great feedback, thanks!! Refillables? Are you using dye ink or pigment? I understand thru research that you can use either, based on what substrate you are printing on...the problems come from switching from one to the other. This would be a dedicated film printer for us, so I think we can start off fresh with dye ink. I still have about 1500ml of dye ink fthat was used in my 1400, so I think I can use that up?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
I've gotten 3 refurbs direct from Epson, all have been good. Currently using a WF-7620 for film output. (No RIP, no special ink, carefully tweaked output settings. I'm probably wasting a lot of money on ink - but my films are nearly opaque.)

Question: Will using refillables void your extended warranty? (I tried adding CIS to my last printer, and wrecked it. It could probably be resurrected, but I didn't have time to deal with it.)
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 01:36:21 PM »
I use the All Black setup and Accurip...with Cobra Ink System's refillable carts and their Dye Based Inks. Refilling carts is a little bit fiddly, but the 2 CISS systems I've tried over the years weren't worth the effort. Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »
link is not working. what kind of printer is it?
generally refurbs have about twice to three times the rate of having problems compared to new. I still buy a lot of refurb stuff though. The trade off is generally worth it, especially when it comes with warranty.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!