Author Topic: Does having a larger auto press mean you can run "faster"?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Does having a larger auto press mean you can run "faster"?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 03:58:26 PM »
a 12 station press has to turn 30 degrees to move from one station to another. A 6 color press has to turn 45 degrees, that's 50% more. I would imagine that alone could make the larger presses produce more.

pierre

That may be so Pierre but you have to factor the lenght of the pallette arms, at their very ends is the furthest travel in relation to the center, I would assume a 12 color press has far longer palette arms which means a longer travel length at the ends. Add in the 30 degree versus 45 degree and it is probably a tie.

But then their is the speed factor the farther away from center the faster it will ir travels, so who knows with out someone sitting down crunching math.

I did not want to get into that as I don't really know, but a larger press is heavier, the weight is further out and thus it requires more torque to turn. If the servos are turning at 30 degrees per second, the platens on the end of the larger press will cover more distance n the same amount of time (that's the equation for speed), but the time would still be 1 second. The smaller press would need a second and a half to cover the 45 degrees.

Now, here's the twist (something that Rich could answer), are the smaller presses turning faster than the larger ones since they don't have as much momentum to overcome?

pierre

Good points which I thought of as well, but as you said do they increase the torque to turn the extra weight or for both speed and weight. At what point would fast be to fast at the end of them pallettes? I would hate to get hit by a 12 station pallette arm if it is traveling twice the speed of a six station, ouch!
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Does having a larger auto press mean you can run "faster"?
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »
That flashback is the reason for the slower speed.

Still not terrible speeds... much better than manual printing.  We don't really load much faster so no rush for us to go faster than that really.

We can double stroke a full back while flashing in table up position.