Author Topic: NEW DIRECTIONS. It was the summer of 1996...  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
NEW DIRECTIONS. It was the summer of 1996...
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:58:59 AM »
It was the summer of 1996.

I had been working at the L. J. Houze Glass factory in the art dept. Had been there for five + years now. It was a Union shop. We had about 100 union employees. Every job there was a union job unless you were in the front office. I had been an artist at my first job for 1 yr and this job for 5 years. A position came open as a Production Mgr assistant. I applied...and at the same time, I had recently applied as an artist at another Co. Either way, I knew it was time for me to make a change.

I was offered the Co. job at the glass factory going from Union to a Co pos. as assistant Production Mgr. and then, I was also offered the other position as an artist. I didn't take that assistant prod. mgr job and decided to stay in as an artist instead. I can only imagine where I might be now, had I taken that fork in the road. The road of production and not art.

Fast forward 2016, I've been a Digital Tech for 2 & 3/4ths of a year. That's been completely different yet similar. It involved delivering art to screen and screen development, not "doing" art but having that knowledge proved to be very valuable. Also, having that screen "print" background, knowing what I know, has also helped a lot for the customer.  I was taught some valuable skills in this position and the best part was working with the customers. That's the part I loved most and I think the customers saw this and appreciated that about me. All in all, again, I wouldn't change a thing.

M&R IS indeed a great company to work with. I've seen the back end of M&R and can say, they ARE indeed a great Co. Rich himself, IS indeed a great guy. He is what he says he is, Does what he says he will and yes, Customer service IS great there. With that said,

Today, is my last day of employment with M&R. Starting tomorrow, I will be the Gen Mgr. of Arena Imprints in Nashville TN overseeing Print Prod, Scrn Rm, and the art dept. and overarching quality control among a few other "projects" I'll be involved in up front.

Now, I think back to the fork in the road and know, how beneficial that job would have been for me today, with overseeing about 45 people at this new job and all of the other paths I'd of taken since then related towards production.

I wouldn't change a thing, but I know, I will be getting into some new challenges. I imagine some of the issues I will come up against, you all have been there, and got the tee shirt. Something you may consider as simple as breathing,  I may consider a major hurdle and need my buds.

Thanks to RICH and the guys in the Digital Dept. for the opportunity to work with such a fine group!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: NEW DIRECTIONS. It was the summer of 1996...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:23:49 AM »
Congrats Dan!!!

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:02:19 AM »
Good luck on the new job Dan, I suspect traveling might have moved you to this new job, I know I left a job for that reason really loved the job but the travel got to be more than I wanted, again good Luck and hope it works out to be a very long stay.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:27:19 AM »
Congratulations Dan, and good luck, though you may not need as much as you think, you're pretty damn knowledgeable...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
Congrats Dan. Cool shop!

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:22:11 PM »
Good luck Dan, If you need anything let me know, here to share whatever we can.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 02:40:16 PM »
Congrats Dan!  Best of luck to you in your new adventure!   :)
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline AAMike

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »
Take some psychology classes and good luck with your new adventure.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »
Congrats Dan! Good luck with your new job.
Dale Hoyal

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
Take some psychology classes

The longer I work in the production side of things.. this can't be farther from the truth.

Best of luck brother!
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline jamiem

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 11:52:59 AM »
Congrats Dan, we will miss you at M&R.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

Jamie