Author Topic: New PC advice  (Read 2725 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
New PC advice
« on: July 15, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »
The plan is to swap out the IMAC and go back to a PC.

Typically I would just go to Tigerdirect or somewhere similar and either pick out a prebuilt or build my own.

I am not interested in that right now just want to get the best for the buck ready to go out of the box

Things I want, SSD, I7 min., 16 RAM min., a HD, Win 10 with out bloat an actual I own it copy with disk.

I know think stations are popular, we have one set up in the smb dept. and runs fine but is bloated.

Are they good for a PC that runs non stop hard all day, driving multiple printers and applications? Or are they better for office flow and network?

Is there a site that offers actual non gaming PC's purpose built for our type of work?

Advice is welcome, price is not a major factor, just want to avoid getting something that is going to be under powered or problematic down the road.

Thanks
"No man is an island"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: New PC advice
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »
There are the industrial strength refurbs from Lennovo that Pierre recommends, or if you have a little time to wait for the build and delivery, I highly recommend these guys.
https://www.microexpress.net/DESKTOP
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »
Damn Frog that site is exactly what I am talking about. In one scroll I found almost exactly what i need. And I can customize the rest, god knows I need tons more UPS ports which IMACs lack. Very cool and much thanks, going to pull the trigger on something soon for sure.
"No man is an island"

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:07:02 PM »
Check out maingear.com

I know it looks like they are geared towards gamers, but you can build a great PC with zero bloatware and essentially all the specs you just named.

The x-cube is the model I'm probably going to build. Probably be around $1300 but it will be a workhorse.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:10:01 PM by Nation03 »

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 03:12:31 PM »
Maingear is a great site if you have the time to wait on a build. But honestly you could have parts from NewEgg Monday and build your own. It is not remotely hard to do.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 03:15:02 PM »
Maingear is a great site if you have the time to wait on a build. But honestly you could have parts from NewEgg Monday and build your own. It is not remotely hard to do.

God knows I have built hundreds in my time but I am getting older and have little time for that type of stuff. I really just want one made to order plug and play.

I decided not to build my last gaming rig and spent $3500 instead and had a custom build done, it has been amazing from the custom sound insulation, liquid cooling and incredible support I would do it again in a heart beat.
"No man is an island"

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »

God knows I have built hundreds in my time but I am getting older and have little time for that type of stuff. I really just want one made to order plug and play.

I decided not to build my last gaming rig and spent $3500 instead and had a custom build done, it has been amazing from the custom sound insulation, liquid cooling and incredible support I would do it again in a heart beat.
Check out newegg for the hp z400 z600 z800, i have 4 and have been very good.
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »
the big thing about Thinkstations is that they are reliable. Speed wise, they are probably slightly slower than the comparable specs on a standard system. Mine will go 6 months without a reboot.

You could, order a new one without the OS and load it yourself. Many of the refurbs are available on ebay without a hard drive, too. Get the specs you want and add a drive and OS.

other option might be to buy and build your own. i7 (I like the 4790k for $289 at microcenter), get a motherboard for $100 and you should be able to get a nice system for under $750. Photoshop likes faster processors rather than lotsa processing power. 4790K with a good cooler will run at 4.5GHz without any problems. That's a lot of bang for the buck. I will say that one I have with all this is still not as fast as an older Xeon CPU Thinkstation I use at work.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 05:23:28 PM »
I got mine for 400e.
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 05:57:30 PM »
Check out Micro Center they got some great deal on refurbished machine if thats what you want,
also some affordable nice win 7 machines.  8)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 02:31:13 PM »
Follow up.

Just pulled the trigger on a rig from micro center linked by Frog. I called and talked with them and some of the other places linked in this thread and Microcenter seemed to have the best to offer for my exact needs.

In a nut shell went with:

i7 6800K Six-Core
32 gigs ddr4 Ram
250SSD
2x 1TB drives
Liquid Cooling, the processor is a beast so it needs it
Win 10 no bloat and own the disk

All in all it should work awesome for my needs,

if I need to boost the graphics I have a GTX 980TI I can throw in it instead of selling.

"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
Now your cookin!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 03:11:51 PM »
Not to pat myself on the back too much, but I was quite impressed with Micro Express and the personal attention that is available when and if needed.
I first was attracted to them from high marks in a PC World article, and was not sorry, and do not hesitate to recommend them. I think that for those of us who for one reason or another don't want to put the components together ourselves, their mark-up is not unreasonable, and we get the benefit of their experience with said components.
They suggested changes on the case, SSD, and removable HDD tray from the original specs on my box, and explained the reasoning on each.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 03:20:29 PM »
Your right Frog I looked at current pricing on the CPU, MB and RAM and their pricing is quite fair. One thing you do get is great support and warranty and good advice on what you need versus what would be a waste. He did not hesitate to tell me a high end GPU is useless for what I need, so he never once tried to upwell. His advice was multi core hyper threading and a lot of RAM. And obviously an SSD. He recommended the Liquid cooling, its an all in one not a reservoir system because the CPU does run a lot of heat and will allow me to over clock it if I choose so.

It was a good experience, one of the other places I talked with simply pointed me at a high end gaming rig and said I could customize that. I already knew that was a waste of time.
"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »
Before New Egg was super big I bought most of my PC parts at Mirco Center when I lived in Atlanta and PA. Even then New Egg was higher at times.