Author Topic: Anaglyph prints.  (Read 3281 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
Anaglyph prints.
« on: May 10, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
Hey everybody.

Hoping there might be someone out there who's been to this rodeo.

One of our design teams is trying to work out anaglyphs (red/blue 3D). They have about 4 different pieces they are trying to execute. This is as much as I am allowed to share of one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i5ko2gcnknfrnpa/3d.jpg?dl=0

With the glasses on, the print works on screen. We have even gotten one or two of them to the point where , after seps and strikeoff, something happens with the glasses on but we cannot seem to get the three colors to work on the shirt as well as they do on the screen. I know, I know..

I am wondering if anyone has done this before and can help us IMPROVE the result. I know it cannot be the same.

Any tips you might have for us will be a big help. We already ordered the glasses.

Thanks!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Anaglyph prints.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:48:58 AM »
I am gong to take a stab at this . . . we have not done this kind of 3D print, but have done similar stuff so I had to check into it.

red/blue 3D relays on separation of colors via the glasses to provide different images to each eye. It is crucial that the blue part contains absolutely no red in it and the other way around. My suggestion would be to play with the ink color until you can't see the red through the blue lens and the opposite. Once that is worked out, make sure your seps contain only one color in the non overlapping areas and you should be golden!

now this is pure conjecture on my  part, so let me know if it works out!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 03:38:41 AM »
I also have no experience with 3d images. I will add this... Monitors are continuous tone. We print in solid tones or the illusion of continuous tone with halftones. I bet the closer to continuous tone you can get to the more complete the illusion.  If I was going to print this I would print it at as high a LPI as possible. I would also print it with translucent inks so they mix to give it a more continuous tone print. Hell I would try to just print the file as a CMYK and see what it looks like.

Does the illusion work on a inkjet printed copy of the file?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:05:46 AM »
I did one of these a few years ago, though it was on flatstock and the art was much simpler line art.  Pierre hit the nail on the head with the ink color.  I had to do a few different mixes and base down the ink A LOT to get it to work properly across the whole print.

I have no idea if halftones will "break" the effect, and it may be entirely different on a shirt vs paper.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:55:38 AM »
Print order is very important.  We have a guy here in Atlanta that has this down to a science.  I believe he said the blue must print first as to be as far away from the eye as possible.  I admit I don't understand that logic but there is no denying that his seps and prints are great.  David Robison is his name.  He did a shirt for M&R for SGIA once a long time ago.  Space themed.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:16:11 AM »
We did some Magic Eye prints a number of years ago (used to work with the artist in the '80's) and they came out great, but I don't know why, LOL. Obviously, this is a different animal, but if they can print it on paper, it has to be able to be done on t's...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 02:57:36 PM »
Hey.

Thanks for all the help everybody, they are working on their seps for the prints now. They never seem to give us enough time to get everything just right but they are looking pretty good.

Definitely planning to look up that gentleman from Atlanta when I get a minute.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
Hey.

Thanks for all the help everybody, they are working on their seps for the prints now. They never seem to give us enough time to get everything just right but they are looking pretty good.

Definitely planning to look up that gentleman from Atlanta when I get a minute.
what did you have to change?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
I haven't actually been tinkering with these myself today but our artists have been working with the print order, trying to perfect the blending of the red and blue ink channels and getting the blue and red shades just right.

We have a limited development window and I don't think they have too many opportunities to strike them off left before we need to go to production. Fingers crossed.