Author Topic: Screen exposing/wash out problems HELP!  (Read 8274 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Screen exposing/wash out problems HELP!
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 02:34:47 PM »
Follow up:

I'm not ready to say I am past the problem, but have been experiencing my normal success.

At this point all signs seems to be that it was an encapsulation issue. It appears that spraying the inside of the screen with a lot more water than I did before and pushed the film into the screen with a little more pressure than before has resolved this. This would make sense as S mesh has more open area. It would also explain why this issue seemed to be more extreme on the lower mesh counts. I am not degreasing my screens. Which I never did before aside from the first time using brand new mesh.

I bought a new screen stretched with 150 S mesh (Thanks for the speedy shipping Spot Color) to test. I gave it a quick cleaning degreasing, rinsed it, coated it (no abrading, no water retainers), and it exposed and washed out perfectly. This leads me to believe it is not a new mesh prepping issue, film not dense enough issue, or exposure time issue. But more so an "extra water needs to be used with the thin thread mesh" issue.

If I find any other results/issues I will add to this thread. But otherwise we will consider this resolved.

A sincere thank you to all who took the time to give advice. A few of you really seemed to push me right into this direction from the get go. THANK YOU!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »
Yay Solutions!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 02:44:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking that not so much special procedures or techniques are needed for thin thread as much as you got used to cutting corners in the past giving acceptable results on regular thread.
btw, something I'm guilty of. I get complacent and lazy in some of my procedures.

Glad it's working out now.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 02:55:47 PM »
Yay Solutions!

FYI, according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution as well.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »
Yay Solutions!

FYI, according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution as well.

Nice! :D
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking that not so much special procedures or techniques are needed for thin thread as much as you got used to cutting corners in the past giving acceptable results on regular thread.
btw, something I'm guilty of. I get complacent and lazy in some of my procedures.

Glad it's working out now.

I'd agree with that statement. I've cut out as many things that I found to be "unnecessary" to get the needed end result in a quicker manner. Years later it's easy to forget just what we were supposed to do, but didn't need to at the time.