Author Topic: Apply Image Tool?  (Read 3884 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
Apply Image Tool?
« on: April 15, 2016, 05:26:04 PM »
Just reading through the post on separation software and the apply image tool in photoshop was referenced as one of the few tools needed to adjust software generated seps.

I have been doing this for a minute and confess that I don't think I have ever used it.

Can someone send me a tutorial or write up a brief on how to use it to get better seps?

Thanks everyone!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Apply Image Tool?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:46:37 PM »
I don't use it a lot either but the blending options are what I use when I do use it, you'll find so many ways to work in Photoshop that are great for you and no one else.  I know I ain't helping you any but that's my 3 cents worth ::)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »
Apply Image is another method used (to apply a selection to another channel or layer).  It's probably most used in automation for specific or a series of routines.

I don't use it myself only because I'm doing mine manually and do a few of those same things (but in isolated and more specific areas that I want to adjust).

Apply Image makes use of selecting an entire channel "pixel" percentage, and allowing you to do things to it like Load multiple other channels to use as a selection to lay over the current, then apply modes like Darken, Multiply etc. The downfall to me, is that it uses everything in that selection. As a result, it may apply areas from one selection onto another channel area that I don't want touched. The only way to use this and not touch other areas would be to create additional channels with those areas isolated. Here though, you are essentially getting into "the manual sep zone" or stuff you might normally do manually. You can also inverse the selection, add a another mask etc.

It's probably more ideal for automated procedures where everything is pre planned but gives you repetitive results that may not apply to your specific job at hand. This is why auto seps work on job C, but not so well on job D. It can be a great option though, especially for those who just let them do it's thing and then know that they will go back in and adjust anyways to fine tune it. It can get you there most times but Apply Image is probably best left for the automation programs and then you adjust on your own.

The best way to separate is to create isolated areas that you can use as a mask for your specific design at hand. With that, you can use that as a tool to add some to this channel, and back off or delete from another channel. Burn out light areas or darken shadow areas more etc.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »
I get asked (quite often) about how to add a specific top colors' data to an underbase so the color prints brighter on darks.  And to a lesser extent, although important, how to remove the data of a given channel from another and did a basic video on using Apply Image a short while ago.  Its a MUST tool when doing separations in Photoshop.

Here 'ya go.  Should be helpful to those with little to no experience using it.

http://www.ultraseps.com/apply-image-photoshop-tutorial-ultraseps.php
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 05:29:35 PM »
Thanks for the tips on separation.  For those that have grown up in the digital age you are lucky.  Most of the stuff we take for granted nowadays took hours if not days to perform in a darkroom, plus hand masking, tray development of positives etc.  Sim Process is now so much easier.  Heck we used to hand stipple with a #2 Rapidograph over previouisly hand stippled art to blend colors and create tonal transitions.  One thing that I think deserves mentioning is the digital baseplate can be modified to help the print yield many more colors as well as helping with registration.  We often played around with contrast, brightness, levels, and modify edge to create a baseplate that isn't 100% to the colors printing over.  Shirt and Ink can yield many great colors within a blend in the <25% tonal range without a base plate underneath. A blue or red can be both a stain background print on a similar color shirt, and a bright color within the print.  Easy now, a pain back in the day when we walked up hill in the snow and paid 29 Cents for a gallon of gas.
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
Easy now, a pain back in the day when we walked up hill in the snow and paid 29 Cents for a gallon of gas.

and going to school was a two mile walk in the snow up hill with duct tape on our shoes to keep the now out of the holes...just to get to school.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
You had shoes to wear? I walked to school in the snow barefoot.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 11:27:26 AM »
Thanks for the tips on separation.  For those that have grown up in the digital age you are lucky.  Most of the stuff we take for granted nowadays took hours if not days to perform in a darkroom, plus hand masking, tray development of positives etc.  Sim Process is now so much easier.  Heck we used to hand stipple with a #2 Rapidograph over previouisly hand stippled art to blend colors and create tonal transitions.

You got that right.  Everyone starting out today has it so easy, especially with the pre-press side of the business.  I started in 1978 and practically slept in the darkroom and when not in there, chained to the light table.  I'm surprised that Agfa never sent me Christmas cards for all the film I bought monthly.

Every weekend I could be found at a store named Colorest in Red Bank NJ buying rub-on lettering, gradient sheets, border tape, glue sticks, rapidograph pens, rubylith, those famous non-photo blue pens, etc.   I used so many glue sticks for artwork paste-up got tired of paying retail for them.  So eventually found where to buy a case of 500 unpackaged direct from the maker.

Was also a master at the Strip Printer for setting text which was another art room nightmare of this era.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 07:44:03 AM »

I walked to school, in the snow, no shoes, up hill both ways.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »
I know some of you guys are to young to be grandpa's cuz my grand pop use to tell whoppers like that all the time to LOL ;D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »

I walked to school, in the snow, no shoes, up hill both ways.

Me too! I'm surprised I never noticed you, lol

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 02:07:38 PM »
I get asked (quite often) about how to add a specific top colors' data to an underbase so the color prints brighter on darks.  And to a lesser extent, although important, how to remove the data of a given channel from another and did a basic video on using Apply Image a short while ago.  Its a MUST tool when doing separations in Photoshop.

Here 'ya go.  Should be helpful to those with little to no experience using it.

http://www.ultraseps.com/apply-image-photoshop-tutorial-ultraseps.php

Hmm, I've always used Calculations to do that; I'll check the vid to see if I can figure out where they differentiate... thanks, Steve

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 06:01:07 PM »

Hmm, I've always used Calculations to do that; I'll check the vid to see if I can figure out where they differentiate... thanks, Steve

Steve

Apply Image is basically the little brother to Calculations and is better suited for quick and easy adjustments to one channel or layer from another.  Calculations however, unlike Apply Image makes it possible to use 2 channels or layers to create a new channel or layer.

Complex masks and color channels can be generated with Calculations, especially when running a calculation on a layer or channel previously generated via Calculations.  It can can get very convoluted.  In fact, the Gray separations (gray-tone-b&w-style seps) in UltraSeps is based almost entirely on Calculations.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:40:54 PM by UltraSeps »

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
Wow! great stuff as always. I am humbled.