Author Topic: Mixing system - Whats the best mixer?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline XG Print

Mixing system - Whats the best mixer?
« on: April 15, 2016, 04:22:53 PM »
After 7 yrs of printing I am about to my first pantone matching system.  What would be the best tool to use for mixing the formulas?  Wondering if mixing by hand with a spatula is best or some type of drill paddle.  I figure to be mixing qts. more often than not.  Thanks

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Mixing system - Whats the best mixer?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 05:02:50 PM »
skinny frosting spatulas work great for the quarts. It does not hurt that they are only few bucks each . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 05:16:45 PM »

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 05:23:30 PM »
Thats what I use too.  I use the goop scoops for inks where I will not be mixing (stock colors, the base pigments etc), but those are a pain to clean compared to the frosting spatulas so I use those for mixes.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
this work great. Someone posted a while back that they used these, Found a place I can buy a package for $7 and 5 out of the 7 work great, the big ones like full 1/4" don't work as well as the smaller sized ones.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »
this work great. Someone posted a while back that they used these, Found a place I can buy a package for $7 and 5 out of the 7 work great, the big ones like full 1/4" don't work as well as the smaller sized ones.

If you don't mind sharing, where did you find them? 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 06:20:41 PM »
for quarts, go with the little ones, 4.5" bent blade. Wooden handle is easier to clean, plastisol will dissolve the plastic handles (cheap ones).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WG14FC/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687442&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0000DE0Y0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Q7F5K7J789AT283AHWB

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 07:40:43 PM »
Found some wood handle straight blade's a long time ago. Been using for 10 years.
One better option I have never found is a cake blade with a …. wait for it….. SQUARE END!

It would be so much nicer scraping, mixing the "bottom" of quarts with a square end, and much less time.

Once had a maintenance worker cut and grind off the round end, but have you ever tried?
Those things are indestructible.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 09:02:12 AM »

If you don't mind sharing, where did you find them?

Local place near me. I like to refer to it as a poor mans home depot.