Author Topic: How would you separate this?  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Maff

• !!!
How would you separate this?
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:32:43 AM »
Although I've got a handful of sim process separations under my belt, I still consider myself a beginner separator for sim process. So any advise here would be appreciated.

This will be printed on Sand and Ash Gray shirt.
Plastisol ink
I'm on a 6 color manual press.

I still need to pick out exact colors but my current idea is:
1 White base halftoned
2 moss lime greenish color - for the grenade
3 light redish color - for the leaves
4 aqua teal color - for the words
5 brown - for the countries and text and also to blend into the light red on the leaves
6 Black - to pull all the shading in

for mesh I'm thinking 225s for the white base and 280 for all the rest

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: How would you separate this?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:19:52 PM »
1) White Base
2) Green in Grenade
3) Teal text
4) navy in grenade and halftones in red and Latin Americas - You can also use the green depending on exact shading color needed.
5) Red Shade
6) This is where you can throw in a color of choice that may pull things together better.

This would not be my recommended print order.

my 2 cents
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »
1) White Base
2) Green in Grenade
3) Teal text
4) navy in grenade and halftones in red and Latin Americas - You can also use the green depending on exact shading color needed.
5) Red Shade
6) This is where you can throw in a color of choice that may pull things together better.

This would not be my recommended print order.

my 2 cents

Thanks! I hadn't thought about Navy or even a dark navy instead of black  and that may help give the grenade just a hint of blue. 

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »
I agree with Colin.  Could easily be done with 5 screens.  Honestly you might even be able to do it with 4 with the right mesh counts and inks (omit the underbase entirely).  Or you could make the grenade light green the same as the text since the difference is so minor anyway, then use the darker green/blue to pull it back a bit.  Few different options depending on how exact you need to be.

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 01:52:25 PM »
I agree with Colin.  Could easily be done with 5 screens.  Honestly you might even be able to do it with 4 with the right mesh counts and inks (omit the underbase entirely).  Or you could make the grenade light green the same as the text since the difference is so minor anyway, then use the darker green/blue to pull it back a bit.  Few different options depending on how exact you need to be.

Yeah I thought about No underbase and going a bit more opaque with the colors, but then I'm worried that the brighter highlights in the leaf  would be too dark,  but then maybe I could swap in spot pinkish color for those areas.  But opaquer inks may make it harder for w.o.w printing and colors blending. 
I may still go with 6 colors just for the sake of having the finished print look as nice as possible... I'm hoping this one can be a good portfolio piece for us...