Author Topic: Let's Talk Tension  (Read 7339 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Let's Talk Tension
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2011, 04:14:11 PM »
Correct on the latter. The M&R stretcher is not a very good unit for instance. Systems like Harlacher use many many cylinders for more even tensioning and are much better (and used by large format flat bed guys). One technique involves multiple relaxing periods and retensioning before final glue application. The principle is that this can get you to higher tension levels than specified; and when relaxed they will settled in at a nice performance screen.
The people who are "banging these out" probably do not use the methods we've used in the past.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
I don't think screen tension is a myth, that's not how I took it reading this thread, nor do I think statics are god, nor do I think Newmans are the be all end all of screens.

Proper tension is important, but taking it to an extreme I believe is a myth made large by over zealous marketeers of this industry.  Talk to a mesh manufactuarer, they'll tell you their mesh performs best in the suggested tension range specified in the thread charts.

I'll just leave it at that.

Why can't Newman's (retensionables) be the "Be ALL"?

If you want more tension they work, if you want less tension they work. Seems like the answer to EVERYONE'S dream
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Extreme Screen Prints

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »
We recently bought a M&R stretcher for our jumbo frames and come to find out were re stretching all our statics, We are using dynamesh and pulling 230-305-40 to 36 NM and within 24 hours they lose about 2-3NM, after a few weeks and 10 reclaims they are holding in the 28Nm range some higher. Stretching in house is fairly simple and with good mesh/glue and strong aluminum frames you can get good results. It costs me $7 per 25x36 screen to remesh, My $10 and hour guy can do 5 and hour with grinding them and cleaning them. I have rollers and EZ Frames but I am starting to wish I would of spent the $1500 dollars on a stretcher years ago instead of sending them out and getting sub par screens. If you can't afford rollers and don't have the time to keep them up then stretch in house and control the process and save yourself about $10 per screen vs Sending them out.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
started on Newmans 16 years ago, 2 years ago I opened my own shop and switched to statics for cost reasons.  I DOUBT I WILL EVER GO BACK TO ROLLER FRAMES!  Just my experience, I know most would disagree.  A wise industry leader (whose name I wont mention) told me about 15 years ago that its more important that your frames be very similar in tension, rather it be low or high, just consistent and you can get great results.  I tested that theory and I stand by it after all these years.  Again, just my opinion.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
How much life do you get out of your static's? And where do you get them from?

Offline sben763

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 07:57:16 PM »
Yes even tension is important but I am exactly opposite. I will never use a static again in my shop. The difference between 20N and 40-50N is huge in benefits to a manual printer like me.  Ink transfer is so much easier so I don't have to push so hard, registration is so much better due to the screen not skewing not only from the tension but because I'm not pushing as hard. More ink is staying at the surface of the shirt and I get more opaque prints. After a few tensionings with good mesh like Newman mesh or other HD mesh its work hardened and no re tensioning is needed. 

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 07:59:11 PM »
How much life do you get out of your static's? And where do you get them from?

As I said, 2 years ago I opened my own shop.  Still running those same screens 2 years later.  I get them from Brannon at Spot Color Supply.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »
We have statics from Xenon that are almost five years old, have tens of thousands of prints on them and are around 20N.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
We have statics from Xenon that are almost five years old, have tens of thousands of prints on them and are around 20N.
Pierre

I have some xenon mesh here, 230 and 160 I believe - I can't get the 230 past 20 newtons before it pops on my stretcher. The last time we had xenon screens in here, they were about 15 newtons straight out of the box?!
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
Same here Homer with my Xenon screens 14 to 15, just bought some more and only two are at 20n the other two 15n...believe it not Homer the 230 are the 20n and the 280 are 15n

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Extreme Screen Prints

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »
Send them Back if there 15nm, That tension will cause registration to wander and many other problems, I would not accept anything under 25nm from a supplier because they are going to relax atleast 4-5nm.  It is all about the mesh brand whether high tensions will hold and not pop. Sefar and sati I can get to 24 on a 305 before popping, Dynamesh Beta 305 same thread diameter as the other will go up to 36nm, Stretch and glue frames is super easy, probably one of the easier tasks in the whole process, I too used to think it was a pain and that I wouldn't be able to make better screens than people specializing in re stretching.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
Send them Back if there 15nm, That tension will cause registration to wander and many other problems, I would not accept anything under 25nm from a supplier because they are going to relax atleast 4-5nm.  It is all about the mesh brand whether high tensions will hold and not pop. Sefar and sati I can get to 24 on a 305 before popping, Dynamesh Beta 305 same thread diameter as the other will go up to 36nm, Stretch and glue frames is super easy, probably one of the easier tasks in the whole process, I too used to think it was a pain and that I wouldn't be able to make better screens than people specializing in re stretching.

I would have but I needed to get them in use asap. so far nobody can get a static to a tension I'm happy with so I stretch my own. I can get 230 S mesh almost anywhere I want it and it's fine. Xenon mesh, I look at it and it breaks....same with my panel frames, stock panels blow and I can understand people hating on them but I make my own panels...when I have time haha
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
I am very "pro" roller frame but if someone made a static that didn't lose so much tension then I'd buy them.  NOBODY consistently makes a static that stays at the tension they are delivered at.  The best statics I've seen from a supplier are the xenon screens but even the last batch of 5 that I bought in July, have gone from 25 down to 20 for the 123/71's and the 110/81's have gone from 22 down to 17 and 18 newtons.  Unfortunately nobody has made a truly low/no elongation mesh so when it comes to statics it's very hard for the suppliers/makers of the screens to make money on them if they actually stretched them to the point that they were essentially work hardened.  If you get a static that is brand new and it's 25 newtons and you use it a few times and it's still 25 newtons, then it was stretched perfectly and most likely took a long time to get it that way. 

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 02:45:36 PM »
We prefer rollers for consistency and knowing the exact mesh that is on there. Both size and brand. Not saying all cheat and dont use what is requested but I have been bitten more than once from certain vendors charging for what was not really there.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
I've bought so many screens over the years and really never new there true tension until I bought a tension meter, and was my eyes open, I don't think I ever had a screen at 30 to 40 n in my rack.  All have been between 12 and 18 on static, now I have some rollers and they are around 18 to 20, I think I was more worried about them being flat.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!