Author Topic: Back in the contract biz  (Read 6671 times)

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
Re: Back in the contract biz
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 11:43:46 PM »
what kind of error rate to you shoot for/expect on an order that size?  less than 1%?  less than .1% ?? obviously can't be zero in the end, but what would you consider to be a good #?
Not to derail the thread, and it is nowhere near the 70k that Tony landed, but we just ran 9000 prints and only had 7 miss prints. It pains me to say it, but I was responsible for 3 of them! Some example to set for the employees! :(
Same here about. 13,000 prints 2 sides, and only 4 misprints. For newly trained pressmen, I call that a win.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
In your defense Alex, while you were printing you were probably also answering phones, looking at art seps, quoting a job, running up and down stairs, and a few other tasks, too
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 12:23:12 PM »
In your defense Alex, while you were printing you were probably also answering phones, looking at art seps, quoting a job, running up and down stairs, and a few other tasks, too

Wait, doesn't everyone operate like that?  :o
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 07:03:34 AM »

Sounds Normal to me, everything but the stairs part! 

Alex uses the stairs as his personal stair-master and saves on his gym membership, gotta keep his svelte shape 8)
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 08:41:46 AM »

Wait, doesn't everyone operate like that?  :o

I'm close, but I'm not used on press anymore... still, I fill my day with constant interruptions while trying to separate or quote, or fix something, or...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »
I remember when I was running the press we would literally go MONTHS, hundreds of setups, hundreds of jobs between misprints.  Our misprint average has quadrupled over the years but it's still around .1%. 

Congrats on the order though, I wouldn't want any part of it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »
I am in the middle of 75000 pieces 2 sided with a totally green crew.  So far we are at .005% misprints.  Most of these were fixable on press but were pulled off before I could stop them.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 09:10:26 AM »
I am in the middle of 75000 pieces 2 sided with a totally green crew.  So far we are at .005% misprints.  Most of these were fixable on press but were pulled off before I could stop them.

this is impressive, especially with a new crew.

when running large orders we have a tendency to get complacent during the run... ie, not tacking until it's WAY past needed and then you'll get a handful of shirts that are skewed...

the other thing that will happen is we'll run out of ink in the underbase screen... and the ops won't hear the floodbar singing (I can hear that sound all the way in the office and generally will come running)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »

when running large orders we have a tendency to get complacent during the run... ie, not tacking until it's WAY past needed and then you'll get a handful of shirts that are skewed...

the other thing that will happen is we'll run out of ink in the underbase screen... and the ops won't hear the floodbar singing (I can hear that sound all the way in the office and generally will come running)

It's not that hard when you standards are really low. ;)

Have fun with that Sonny. 

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »

Running out of ink was the main culprit.  Pulling 4 or 5 shirts before noticing that the ink wasn't there.  I have less hair now than I did then.
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
Yes, long runs usually result in running low of ink in a screen then couple that with tunnel vision from pulling 1000 shirts in an hour without a break and you get misprints.  It's really easy to do so I don't get on the guys too much when that happens.  Other mistakes can be considered dumb and all bets are off in how we deal with them.  Usually they watch me turn red, tell them to get their heads out of their buttholes and I walk outside and yell a few times and it's over with. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 02:27:10 PM »
Yes, long runs usually result in running low of ink in a screen then couple that with tunnel vision from pulling 1000 shirts in an hour without a break and you get misprints.  It's really easy to do so I don't get on the guys too much when that happens.  Other mistakes can be considered dumb and all bets are off in how we deal with them.  Usually they watch me turn red, tell them to get their heads out of their buttholes and I walk outside and yell a few times and it's over with.

Sounds a lot like my method for anger management!  :o

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 02:44:29 PM »
Tony, tell us more about what's cooking when you are able to? (sorry to get back on subject)
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline BorisB

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 03:28:49 PM »

Running out of ink was the main culprit.  Pulling 4 or 5 shirts before noticing that the ink wasn't there.  I have less hair now than I did then.
0.005% is less then 4 shirts. 3.75 to be exact. Well, at least in metric system. Maybe imperial units give different result.????

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 05:11:56 PM »

0.005% is less then 4 shirts. 3.75 to be exact. Well, at least in metric system. Maybe imperial units give different result.????
you are right I meant 1/2 of 1 %
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training