Author Topic: New Monitor Time  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Racer Tees

New Monitor Time
« on: March 01, 2016, 03:01:38 PM »
I had a 27" Samsung for years.  1920x1080.  Finally died on me a few weeks ago and I'm stuck on this old Acer 20" that I don't feel like calibrating.

Is going 2560x1440 worth it?  You guys have any recommendations?

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: New Monitor Time
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
*pays close attention to the reply's*

I know Pierre has done some in depth research on monitors.  But that was a few years ago.  May be some new stuff on the market....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »
I like dual monitors over one large. Two 23" monitors have significantly more area than on 27".
Make sure you get IPS as they give a wider viewing angle before colors start shifting.

I am running dual Dell U2312. U being a higher end model, 23 the size and 21 signifies the 2012 model. They were pretty cheap when I got them. I think 2314 is available, not sure if they updated after that. As a bonus, they come with a USB port and they rotate 90 degrees if needed.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 03:41:06 PM »
I like dual monitors over one large. Two 23" monitors have significantly more area than on 27".
Make sure you get IPS as they give a wider viewing angle before colors start shifting.

I am running dual Dell U2312. U being a higher end model, 23 the size and 21 signifies the 2012 model. They were pretty cheap when I got them. I think 2314 is available, not sure if they updated after that. As a bonus, they come with a USB port and they rotate 90 degrees if needed.

pierre

I totally agree with Pierre on 2 monitors vs 1.  I currently am using a 2560x1080 monitor and I really don't like it...   for some reason mentally it's easier knowing the separation  between the 2 screens...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 04:39:07 PM »
I use 3 23 inch monitors and don't think I could go back to even using 2 honestly.  Gmail and google voice live on my left, photoshop/illustrator live on my middle on, and quickbooks and excel live on the right.  I have all my photoshop and illustrator workspace windows on the edges of the side monitors so when Im working on art i have the full monitor to view the art at the largest size i can.

Buy ones with the narrowest bezels I could find and the best color you can afford.  Like Pierre said, IPS is the best panel for accurate color, and you should honestly look into getting something to calibrate the color across the three monitors as well.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Not really sure about the quality but I couldn't pass up the deal and it was my wife's b-day... so I just did it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236453

I got two of them for $532 with the promo they were running.

I'm opening up a new business (big surprise right?) and will need "new" monitors for it, so I bought them under that company and was gonna just move her old ones to the new business... then I decided to give my office manager two monitors for her new desk (part of the "upgrade"/new business) and so now only one (office manager's old one) is going to the new business... but oh well.

So far they are nice... the 2k resolution is certainly a cool thing on a 24" monitor.  Really opened up the workspace in Illustrator.

She hasn't complained yet... then again, she is somewhat of a size queen. ;)

Offline Racer Tees

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »
I used to run dual 23" Dells a while back, but as monitors have been dying I haven't been replacing them.  Always ran some used junk that I picked up for next to nothing. Time for a real set of monitors.  Even if I have to buy one at a time.

I'd like to stay at 27" or larger.  Going back to a 23 from my 27 is just plain terrible.