Author Topic: Ecommerce sites  (Read 2673 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Ecommerce sites
« on: February 11, 2016, 02:41:49 PM »
Hi! does anyone use Big Cartel or Shopify for ecommerce?

we need to open one or the other, and i'm not a huge fan of big cartel, but our fulfillment guy is.

I personally like shopify way more, and we are having a meeting next week. Just wanted to see if there was any opinions on the board about either.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline presspressmerch

• Verified/Junior
Re: Ecommerce sites
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:25:50 PM »
Shopify fan here, we run multiple shops on their platform.  A step up from BigCartel for sure, many more features/options/apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
i think this is how we are gonna go. i'm much more partial to Shopify too.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline presspressmerch

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:59:06 PM »
Right on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:41 PM »
After using booth we will be switching everything to Shopify in the coming months

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 08:22:34 AM »
This may be a stupid question, since i haven't researched this at all yet, but is there a link or cross compatibility between an ecommerce setup and online ordering setup?
For example if I wanted to have an online store for retail customers buying a few pieces, and also an ordering system for regular account customers placing bulk orders, could I use the same software and database for both?

Offline Maff

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 10:25:46 PM »
We've been using big cartel for one of our customers. I'll be looking elsewhere next time. The back end is hard to organize lots of orders. And each product can only have one custom field for ordering.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 10:21:14 AM »
This may be a stupid question, since i haven't researched this at all yet, but is there a link or cross compatibility between an ecommerce setup and online ordering setup?
For example if I wanted to have an online store for retail customers buying a few pieces, and also an ordering system for regular account customers placing bulk orders, could I use the same software and database for both?
Big commerce has something similar to this.  You can put certain customers in a group that would give them a percentage off of their orders

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »

I develop e-Commerce systems now as an integrated part of my company. While I do not use either of those services because I operate my own platform with complete control over such things. But as mentioned you should be more than able to create a customer "class" and even control your own tier price structures. Meaning that a retail class customer can buy say 1 shirt, but a wholesale class must purchase 10 shirts min per SKU.

In a modern database structure e-Commerce platform you can even go one step further and create price groups per country and in my platform even crate PER-CUSTOMER prices down to the product level. Meaning that an individual customer can get a special price on each SKU. It takes time to setup but is not a problem from a technology perspective. Furthermore you should also be able to control other aspects such as payment and shipping methods the same way, so retail customers have to pay by CC and wholesale customers can buy on terms.
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »
I use BigCartel, Magento, and Shopify, but we are changing over our Magento stores to Shopify for ease of use, and the customer didn't use them to the full scope which was employee orders, wholesale, retail, so we are going to Shopify as it is much more simple.

We still use BigCartel for short term stores that we setup for like a month of orders for certain events as it costs less.  We also use InkSoft for pre-order stores which has had a good reception, but we get squat for automated online custom orders (working on that)

Shopify is great, but costs $30-$70, takes more time to setup, but has more features and extensions, can be customized pretty easily without actually coding, and there is a large theme marketplace, but themes cost more than BigCartel.

BigCartel has a lower monthly cost, easier to theme custom, quicker to setup, but not as many customization for options, but I think for short term stores is a better option.

The only reason we use Shopify more is that BigCartel doesn't currently integrate with the fulfillment software we use (ShipHero) for order fulfillment.  Once that functionality is added I'll probably build more BigCartel stores as I can do them faster and don't have to outsource any IT work for theming.  Our fulfilment software has added BigCommerce and WooCommerce (wordpress shopping cart) to the list of integration so maybe a future store will be built on BigCommerce, not really a fan of the Wordpress carts, but they probably have gotten much better since I last used one.

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 04:28:59 AM »
I use BigCartel, Magento, and Shopify, but we are changing over our Magento stores to Shopify for ease of use, and the customer didn't use them to the full scope which was employee orders, wholesale, retail, so we are going to Shopify as it is much more simple.

I already know that for most people it can be overwhelming compared to most websites in terms of options and operations,  but as a professional Magento developer, I am curious what is it exactly that you think is so hard about Magento? Or what doesn't it do for you?
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.