Author Topic: CTS VS Adding Auto  (Read 13591 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: CTS VS Adding Auto
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2016, 08:50:09 AM »
Greg, next time you see one of those, let me know. I'm looking for another one
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:13 AM »
Greg, next time you see one of those, let me know. I'm looking for another one
Saw one not too long ago on Digitsmith.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2016, 09:26:40 AM »
Thank you, Sir.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2016, 09:28:55 AM »
Thank you, Sir.
Who you calling "Sir"?!?!?!?!?!?!? :o
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2016, 09:48:56 AM »
Sorry, I've been drinking.
Barth Gimble

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
As we grow I'm beginning to change or slightly alter my thoughts when it comes to my prior production model principles, which includes not buying an additional auto until you're running multiple shifts (and no longer want to do that) or there is a customer coming on board that will require another press being installed.  That model we've stuck with has holes in it, I can admit that, and the question on this thread is something we're being faced with this year.  To stay with our current production model the decision is CTS all the way.  But with an aging press, increasing production needs, the pressure being put on a single auto and the odds that the press going down with something major has me seriously contemplating a 2nd auto instead of CTS.  Part of that decision is definitely based on our current abilities and setup times and I think we will see more benefits with the CTS on the pre-press side of the production loop but maybe we could see setup times that include rarely having to move a micro but I'm not going to bet the farm on that.  I can see dozens of scenarios where a 2nd auto would save our butts this year and I think with CTS not being a part of our current setup, we might be much better off using that money for a 2nd auto even if most of the time we're only running 1 auto during the day.  Our RPM will be 7 years old soon, it's only got 2.1 million impressions on it and it still has a lot of life left in it but when we're cranking out 10 jobs per day with one auto and that one auto goes down it will cause all kinds of problems.  I don't care how bullet proof a press is sooner or later there will be things like air leaks and mother boards, membrane buttons, flash unit issues, so many different components of the press to go bad and our model doesn't work if we're dealing with nagging press problems even on a monthly basis. The perfect scenario would be maybe sticking with the one auto but upgrading our current press, selling the RPM and then wait another year to add CTS.  Each day I worry that all these years of trouble-free days with the auto are going to catch up to us.  A big beautiful new auto would ease those worries of mine and also allow us to keep a smaller crew and leave us more money to go CTS sooner than later.   
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »
Sorry, I've been drinking.

10am.... Why so late? Did you sleep in this morning?  ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2016, 07:31:28 PM »
I didn't say I just started.
Barth Gimble

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2016, 09:38:33 PM »
If I had two autos here, in good shape that fit our needs, then I would add CTS. 

If I only had one auto or one of the two autos was on it's way out/wasn't meeting our needs, then "third" auto it would be. 

But that's us.  We couldn't roll with Alan's one auto structure and we also would not find any advantage in a third auto at the moment. 

Certain types of work favor additional press, curing and/or warehousing capacity over improved pre press.   CTS is fantastic, but it's just a pre press tool.  And pre press capacity may or may not be your bottleneck. 

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2016, 12:02:36 AM »
1 auto, 1 manual shop here... wouldn't give up the cts for anything.

We run a LOT of short run jobs... (average order is like 20 pieces, sometimes 4+ screens for a single job)... we average about 100 screens a week.

While we could/would do prepress pretty well with carrier sheets, the cts makes life so much easier, and makes better screens.

Setup times are directly related to using a trilock, we average less than 5 minutes per screen to setup a job with minimally skilled/minimally trained labor in both the screen room and press.

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2016, 07:33:20 AM »
Setup times are directly related to using a trilock, we average less than 5 minutes per screen to setup a job with minimally skilled/minimally trained labor in both the screen room and press.

Gotta ask, can't help myself, but here goes.  Are your daring to describe Tiffany as 'minimally skilled/minimally trained' or is that her description of you  ;D
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »

Gotta ask, can't help myself, but here goes.  Are your daring to describe Tiffany as 'minimally skilled/minimally trained' or is that her description of you  ;D
Guess I just thought Jason had left his account up and Tiffany had posted.... ;)

Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2016, 08:19:37 AM »

Absolutely not... the 'minimally skilled'/'minimally trained' is our artist/press op/screen cleaner/tiffany's helper...  he's learning, but had absolutely no print experience when he started 6 months ago, and we are still in the process of developing our employee 'training' program/guides.

To be able to tell him, "press these buttons and this will happen" makes the process of making good screens that much easier.  We did teach him how to register jobs as tiffany likes super minimal choke on the underbase, but that's about it.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2016, 12:44:56 PM »

Haha!  Jason wouldn't dare make that comment since he likes his health:)   Although to Alex's point, Jason borrowed my laptop on vacation, and forgot to logout, so now I can post as him.  Bwahaha!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:47:15 PM by jvanick »

Offline DaveZ

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2016, 08:25:01 AM »
...Bwahaha!...

I just realized that I'm almost your neighbor.  Mind if I stop by sometime?  (Seriously)
Dave Zimmer
M&R Printing Equipment, Inc.