Author Topic: CTS VS Adding Auto  (Read 13593 times)

Offline Admiral

Re: CTS VS Adding Auto
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 03:22:47 PM »
60 screens a day is enough for a CTS! I would definitely go that route.

We actually went CTS at about 25 screens a day (with a much more affordable one than many of the ones out there right now).  We upgraded that unit a year ago though.  We have plenty of room to grow with our 2 head I-Image-ST now.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »
I've noticed a couple of newer offerings under 20K, from Lawson and Spyder...

Steve

I'd like to see some real-world testing and reviews on those. The price difference is so drastic between them and an I-image that it leaves me skeptical.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 03:55:01 PM »
I've noticed a couple of newer offerings under 20K, from Lawson and Spyder...

Steve
I have a Lawson you can have for 10K.
Rich Hoffman

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 05:09:04 PM »
I believe one of the members here, who does award winning work HAD a Lawson and went with an M&R unit. I'm not 100% sure on that, but seems right to me. If you want to hear about a Lawson, I think a shop here in town uses one. They would probably talk to you. Then talk to me, an M&R user. I once heard someone say, "You get what you pay for".
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 05:10:27 PM »
I believe one of the members here, who does award winning work HAD a Lawson and went with an M&R unit. I'm not 100% sure on that, but seems right to me. If you want to hear about a Lawson, I think a shop here in town uses one. They would probably talk to you. Then talk to me, an M&R user. I once heard someone say, "You get what you pay for".

This.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Lizard

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »
I'm going to have to go against the grain here and recommend another press BUT this depends largely on your work load.  We run 4 presses and we are currently still on film.  We are at the point now where it is time to switch but we can easily supply all our presses with quality preregistered screens while still on film.  No CTS out there would allow us to do as much as we do with only two presses but it would allow us to do more with the same four presses we currently run.

So CTS would allow you to do more with the two presses you currently have but not as much as three for nearly the same up front cost but your labor cost will increase due to more capacity.

Hope this helps.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 12:02:48 AM »
Alan, are your 3 solid guys also making screens, cleaning up or are only on the carousel?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 06:13:00 AM »
I'm going to have to go against the grain here and recommend another press BUT this depends largely on your work load.  We run 4 presses and we are currently still on film.  We are at the point now where it is time to switch but we can easily supply all our presses with quality preregistered screens while still on film.  No CTS out there would allow us to do as much as we do with only two presses but it would allow us to do more with the same four presses we currently run.

So CTS would allow you to do more with the two presses you currently have but not as much as three for nearly the same up front cost but your labor cost will increase due to more capacity.

Hope this helps.

I can say that EVERY CTS owner I know has made the same "Good Enough" statement regarding the impact a CTS would make on their shop, BEFORE they buy one. 

You simply do not understand the 'other' workflow benefits until you start, kind of like the 'king' in this cartoon.  Many of us are absolute rulers in our 'kingdoms' and are no where near as smart as we think we are.  ;D

How do I know this: been there, done that, still kinda stupid!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:15:15 AM by GKitson »
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 06:42:15 AM »
The discussion in the past always went to ROI, which IMO scared many people. You can't afford it if you don't do 50 screens a day they said.  You don't need one if you don't have 2-3 auto's they said.  There is no way your shop can benefit from it they said. Ugh.....fear mongering

Any shop would benefit from one in some way and there is no calculator that is going to tell you the full story of what a CTS will do for your shop. If you've got the money then do it and stop thinking about it, thank us all later.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
I would like to hear from someone who bought CTS and then wished they didn't, does that guy exist?
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 08:34:41 AM »
I would like to hear from someone who bought CTS and then wished they didn't, does that guy exist?

Excellent point.

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 08:53:04 AM »

Excellent point.

They most certainly exist, and most would be buyers of equipment from vendors that were over-promised and under resourced/capitalized.

This technology is not at the plug and play point and possibly never will be due to the variables involved. It is much more than simply sourcing a graphic printer and slapping a new label on it, which was tried by a few not to be named here vendors.

in the 1990's when the original technology was launched computer resources were limited, during the early to mid 2000's much growth and evolution occurred and I am not sure the technology has matured even yet, but we are certainly in the awkward adolescent, acne prone, stage of growth.

Again, my 2 cents.
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »
I would bet there are some who bought and wished they didn't but that would be because of the brand they bought. Just saying you should buy CTS will lead some to buy products they will surely wish they hadn't.  Do your homework people or get burned. A CTS purchase can be the best thing you do for your shop or the worse.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »
As one of the guys told he didn't understand (but I really do) I'm still following along. Mr. Hoffman mentioned the Lawson he has for short money, which seems to be on the m&r forum. As Dave mentions, you get what you pay for, but sometimes, you can find deals that work really well until it's time to move up to something better, read more efficient. I said to my partner this morning "Imagine no pin holes, no lining up films or putting them away..." I didn't get to no vacuum drawdown or the rest. Also the easing of stress on the screen guy, which we have, it's his only job. So, I'm selling the idea thanks to everyone's input. This from a guy that started out with tray developed silver based films, and an Arc Lamp...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 12:03:19 PM »
Don't forget, a CTS is only PART of the system.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA