Author Topic: Back of oven  (Read 3074 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Back of oven
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 09:38:41 AM »
We have one of our best hustlers at the back of our dryer. He will pull/count/box and easily handles 500-800pcs a hour doing that. At 1000pcs per hour he can pretty much just catch/stack.  Not sure how this will go when we get our new Sprint 3000 next week.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 10:01:29 AM »
We try to schedule a  catcher per press. On our dryer that  handles two presses we find it best for QC and over all well-being of our employees to staff each side with a catcher. At times when staff is low and we do just have one person, they usually just stack until the orders are done or they can get some help, and then box.

(Hoodies get a stacker on each side, not really getting out of that.)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 11:02:18 AM »
half the battle of catching shirts off the belt, is how the unloader put them on the belt.

Make sure that shirts being pulled off the press and laid on the belt, have the shoulder seams facing back so it's easy for the catcher to grab the seams, then stack quickly.

Nothing irks me more than a lazy off loader who simply tosses the shirt on the belt passing their piss poor performance down the belt to the catcher who has to struggle to get the seam and stack.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 01:55:15 PM »
half the battle of catching shirts off the belt, is how the unloader put them on the belt.

Make sure that shirts being pulled off the press and laid on the belt, have the shoulder seams facing back so it's easy for the catcher to grab the seams, then stack quickly.

Nothing irks me more than a lazy off loader who simply tosses the shirt on the belt passing their piss poor performance down the belt to the catcher who has to struggle to get the seam and stack.

This is one of the things I harp on to all of our unloaders we've had over the years.  A good unloader makes a huge difference in being able to catch and stack quickly and neatly.  It's something that I never hear spoken about on the forums but it's one of my pet peeves and I catch shirts periodically to check on how the unloader is doing. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 02:10:56 PM »
Our catcher is so fast he is also sorting incoming garments and shipping while the guys set up press.  He helps break down press as well so hes hustling his ass off and without a good catcher we'd basically need another person here.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 02:17:50 PM »
I'm with John and Alan. I also try to have the unloaders flip the size tag out so the catcher can see it easier. Since 98% of what we do gets a hang tag or two, this makes it easier on the tagging. A "bad" shirt is turned 90 degrees so the catcher can see it also. Throughout the shop, I preach that the next person in the process is your customer, and it's you job to make their job easier if possible. Nothing you do can knowingly slow down the next part of the process. (sorry for wandering off subject) Basically, we have 2-4 dryer people for 4 autos.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 03:05:58 PM »
How do you have your tables at the back of the oven, I've seen narrow tables where the "catcher" stands facing the belt.
At the moment we have the table behind the catcher so they have to turn around, we could also have the tables on the sides of the oven so the catcher would have to turn 90 degrees, left or right.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline LuckyFlyinROUSH

• !!!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 04:28:50 PM »
Our catcher stands at the end of the belt to the left or the right of the dryer (depening on side of dryer) In front of them is a table that's parallel to the dryer. So they can count to 12, fold, then stack in 6s. Their feet don't move unless they have to put the shirts in the box. I wouldn't want to turn around all day.

Make sure your unloader gets the shirts flat with seams showing, if he does this properly the tag is out and visible. Makes it easier to grab and stack too. We make our unloaders yell "Size Change", then flip the first shirt of the new size 90 degrees. When standing at the end of the belt you can easily tell where the new size is coming down. Also if there are misprints all shirts are flipped 90 degrees and thrown to the middle of the oven "MISSPRINT" so the catchers know to pull them out.

See video

https://www.facebook.com/125368550832045/videos/910074989028060/
I spend too much money on equipment...

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
A "bad" shirt is turned 90 degrees so the catcher can see it also. Throughout the shop, I preach that the next person in the process is your customer, and it's you job to make their job easier if possible. Nothing you do can knowingly slow down the next part of the process. (sorry for wandering off subject)

I call those visual cues and use them all over the shop. Turn the shirt, use a colored sticker anything to let 'the next in line' with nothing more than than a quick look can tell if the shirt is bad or a size change or whatever you assign to the cue.

I've harped that for years as well, the next person in line doesn't deserves to have your crap passed onto them because you didn't do your job right.
This goes allllll the way up the ladder, through every department and person in the building.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services