Author Topic: Email issues - getting blocked as spam source  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Email issues - getting blocked as spam source
« on: December 29, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »
Over the last couple of years, I occasionally get stuff kicked back by recipient's email services as part of a catch of a net cast too widely which blocks everything from my provider's NorCal IP address due to someone else's nefarious activities.
Sometimes it gets ironed out the same day, last time, it took three days.

At any rate, the ad agency of one of our major sponsors here just reported this issue in reverse, and their stuff was not getting to me. My people had them send copies to their tech support at an alternate gmail address to check it out and help clear it up.

Is this widespread or am I the only one here plagued with this issue?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Email issues - getting blocked as spam source
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 02:00:57 PM »
I had that happen before. It was frustrating to say the least. My buddy was hosting my site and taking care of it, but then when it happened he was on a canyon trip for 3 weeks and i had no one to take care of it. I finally switched. I use wix and with my .com and they use a gmail. Now i do not have to worry about it.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 03:14:09 PM »
I believe this is the problem with this site and my mail.com (dr.com) address... I think that is why I don't get my emails from you guys.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:35:08 PM »
I believe this is the problem with this site and my mail.com (dr.com) address... I think that is why I don't get my emails from you guys.

If that is indeed the case, then it's on your service labeling our email's IP as a spam source. But, you are the only one who has mentioned that problem.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:17:36 PM »
No, I think you guys think my service is "bad".

Maybe you guys got black listed by my service... have you checked to make sure you guys aren't on some black list somewhere?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »
The thing that complicates that issue is that the failure notices that I get when one of mine does not go through does not list my address, but rather the regional address for the broadband company.
So, with ours here, I don't even know what address is used. I'll have to look into it.
Maybe it's related to other sites hosted by the same folks.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 06:19:22 AM »
It's happened to me before when a wordpress theme got compromised and some Russians used my server to send very large amounts of emails.

You can check IPs here:
http://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi

A quick search of theshirtboard.com - 104.28.19.79 - or mail.theshirtboard.com - 72.52.195.1 - on that site did not show any results.

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »
We had a similar problem that we think we've traced back to sending invoices via the internal Quickbooks system.  I think that Quickbooks is esentially spoofing by sending emails through their system and telling the recipient they are from you, which triggers your email to get flagged as potential spam.  A couple years ago we were sending invoices, estimates and POs exclusively through QB and started noticing they were going to our customer's spam folders and our regular communications were getting marked as spam also.  We started saving things out as PDFs and attaching via Outlook.  Our emails started going back to Inboxes and our spam problem was gone.  We thought maybe we had diagnosed it wrong and started sending via Quickbooks again a few months ago and the problem has returned, so we're back to saving out as PDFs.   I'm still not sure if Quickbooks is part of the problem but it's a possibility.