Author Topic: Running pigment CMYK and DYE Film ink at the same time in a 4800?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
We are about to get our 4800 in, so I've been doing my research on the forums.

I see a few people (like Alan) talking about using one side for Dye Sub and the other for films.

Could I run one side for transfers and one side for films?  I'd like to run our heat transfer pigment ink in one side (CMYK) and then run all dye based ink on the other side (printing one at a time like Jason does).  This would save me from having to try and keep our 1100 alive and kicking as much and I would imagine would yield a better image to boot.

What are your thoughts guys?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Running pigment CMYK and DYE Film ink at the same time in a 4800?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:28:06 PM »
I asked this question a while back (or I meant to...).  There is a dead thread on another forum about doing just that, but with no feedback on pros and cons.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »
Thanks?  Haha

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 06:40:42 PM »
New film maker had that option, but they were talking about removing it and making it only for sawgrass. Do some digging, it should work.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »
Have you tried your pigment ink on film and were not satisfied? I find the difference much less of an issue now that almost all film is the frosty "waterproof" type.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:56:05 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 06:56:07 PM »
Have you tried your pigment ink on film and were not satisfied? I find the difference much an issue now that almost all film is the frosty "waterproof" type.

Umm... I fought with finding a good film supplier after Brad from Maverick got kidnapped by ISIS (that's what happened right?)  Big shout out to Spot Color Supply boys from fixing us up... out of all of the samples we got (believe it or not some wouldn't send samples), theirs were the closest to what Brad had.

That being said, I'm hoping we can get some better films with non-waterproof and dye ink.

THAT being said... I'm really curious about the ability to run CMYK printing on one side while it ignores the other side while printing out transfers.  I know the RIPs let me pick my cart for printing my films, but can I tell the printer what CMYK is for transfers?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 06:56:43 PM »
New film maker had that option, but they were talking about removing it and making it only for sawgrass. Do some digging, it should work.

Pierre

So... this (printing transfers) can't be done in the printer driver?  It would have to be done with a 3rd party RIP software?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 09:12:11 PM »

Pierre

So... this (printing transfers) can't be done in the printer driver?  It would have to be done with a 3rd party RIP software?

Don't know, sorry. Let me know what you find out though!

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 11:58:28 PM »
Revisiting this topic real quick before I get this guy fired up.

Finally got back in the country and picked it up... dropped it off at the office then went take a nap.  After some debriefing time I'm sure I'll get on to install this guy and see what condition it is in and what it can do out of the box.

Does anyone have any tips or pointers?  It's been mothballed for about 5 months according to the seller.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
Just realized it's a 4880, not sure if that really matters.

Offline jantexinks

• Verified/Junior
  • Excellence in Service
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Sorry for reviving an older thread...

Yes it is possible to take a 4800 or 4880 and run 2 different 4 color inksets in it.  You must use a RIP such as Wasatch in order to make it happen.  If you are planning on doing color prints, you will also have to invest some time/money into creating profiles so you get accurate color reproduction.  Inkset options could include; dye, pigment, dyesub.

Feel free to let me know if you need more assistance in making this happen.
---Jantex Inks
www.inksandbeyond.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 12:01:29 PM »
Wow, excellent timing.

I literally just got finished trying to get this printer fired up for the first time.

I'll see where we get as right now it needs some power cleaning and I'm just about out of Light Light Black ink... so I'm stuck for the time being.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
Sorry for reviving an older thread...

Yes it is possible to take a 4800 or 4880 and run 2 different 4 color inksets in it.  You must use a RIP such as Wasatch in order to make it happen.  If you are planning on doing color prints, you will also have to invest some time/money into creating profiles so you get accurate color reproduction.  Inkset options could include; dye, pigment, dyesub.

Feel free to let me know if you need more assistance in making this happen.

When you say this, are you specifically excluding less robust rips like filmmaker and accurip, or would each of those qualify as "a RIP such as Wasatch"?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 03:27:04 PM »
Chances are it's cheaper to run another printer than to buy the rip.
There should be a law against the way Epson works, imagine if they sold cars that only ran on Shell gas.
I recently paid a fortune the drive motor on a 4880, they said there was nothing wrong with the motor but the EPSON automatically shows a error after a certain number of prints.
I will be a happy man the day I dump my EPSON printers, another good reason to go CTS.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Alex M

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »
If you have the Epson control software you can reset all those counters.
Check you local dealer, they may do it for you or just give you a copy (the first being more likely).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Mammoser
Director of Sales
Easiway Systems
Mobile: +1 630 220 6588
alex@easiway.com