Author Topic: DAMNIT!  (Read 2118 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
DAMNIT!
« on: December 03, 2015, 06:15:51 PM »
So I just left a pallet under the flash long enough to mess up the rubber.  First time since I started printing...DAMNIT!

Was finishing a rush job, got a phone call, started stacking and boxing, and smell something funky...and massive bubbled up dark brown rubber all of the pallet.  Sigh...

Just wanted to vent.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: DAMNIT!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 06:18:30 PM »
Ask Andy (Frog) about doing that....

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »
...SOMETIMES....you can flip that sucker over on the floor (i.e., rubber side down), put some heavy-duty weight on it and let it cool. It will still be discolored but useable.

....the rubber expands as it heats, making more surface area that the board it is glued to. It has nowhere to go but up. As it cools and retracts, it falls back down. The added weight helps the glue rebond while it cools.

...but, depending on how badly cooked, this may not work. Too much heat changes the makeup of the rubber itself. Then its toast (pun partially intended).
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 06:41:41 PM »
there are some severe ripples in the rubber and its peeling from the sides.  The bubble in the middle was about 2 inches tall and about to hit the flash when I smelled it.  Luckily no flame...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »
Ask Andy (Frog) about doing that....

Though I don't recommend the same technique to anyone else, the end results were a much nicer shop building, better equipment, and (here it gets a little corny) a great affirmation of why two people get married in the first place.

Mimosa, someone here had a great deal on a revolving or retractable flash that will save you the next time (and there will be a next time)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 06:54:16 PM »
Not sure I saw that deal...link?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 07:03:29 PM »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 07:26:11 PM »
Thanks frog, but don't have the budget for that.  Have about 10 other items I need first for that kind of money.  My IR flash panel is also 18x24 and was only $300, and with as many long designs as I print I don't think 18x18 would cut it.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
Almost burned the shop down with this one. Was away for 10 minutes, out of the building, when I returned shop was filled with smoke, FD was rolling up, all i could see was orange flames rolling over the flash unit.
It is almost is a right of passage...you hve to break a few eggs to make mayonnaise and you have to burn a shirt, or something to be a screen printer ::)
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 10:45:05 AM »
i don't have a picture of my friends platen.

He left the flash on overnight.  It was embers in the morning.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 10:52:21 AM »
I lost my burnigity many years ago. Back then, flashes on my auto didn't kick out on start up. Just took one time to learn. Man is stunk, for days. My friend here in town burned one on his manual press two nights ago.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 10:59:20 AM »
I've done that too, once thank God...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
I've burn a few platen's on our manual but never as bad as the above pic wow!
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 08:20:18 PM »
This thread reminded me that I was going to buy a couple of smoke detectors and never got around to it. Thanks to this thread i just bought 2 that I will hang on a down pole from the ceiling to sit just above  raised screen height and just off the edge of the flash unit.
may or may not work but for less than $30.00 bucks i may catch on before the building does ::)
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
I have a bigger antec auto flash... Debating on keeping it right now.. But don't really need the auto base at all.

Anyway... It was a bit cheaper than that... I'd have to look up what I was asking for again though if interested.