Author Topic: Moving Software from old pc to new  (Read 1382 times)

Offline rmonks

• !!!
Moving Software from old pc to new
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »
I bought a new laptop which I plan to use in my screen printing business. I have allot of software I have purchased from Advanced T-Shirts (Tom Knight)  some I have the disk others were downloads. I have tried 2-3 times to contact his company to see about getting a download for the software I do not have on a disk. ie. Simple Seps, Simple Seps Raster. My question is there a way for me to copy the software from my old pc and move it to my new laptop.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Moving Software from old pc to new
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 09:31:26 AM »
If these programs were downloaded, did they not first hang out in your download folder (either one designated by you or a default folder from Windows)? You should be able to copy them onto a portable drive and do it that way. If you are networked and share the download folder, you could probably skip the copy step.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 10:09:47 AM »
Ditto what frog said.  Unless you deleted the download it is still there somewhere.

As to "moving" programs...nope, won't work.
Also, be sure the software you are looking to use is compatible with whatever your new computer has for an operating system.

Best of luck.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
Pardon my PC ignorance, but isn't there a way to copy your stuff directly from the laptop to the new PC? All your emails and settings, files and folders, the whole ball of wax? This is the first thing one does with a new Mac, it copies all your stuff onto the new machine for you so you can basically start it up where you left off. There are glitches of course, but it's really easy. I would tend to think the PC side has something similar, but I've never had to try before; my last PC upgrade I had someone else do it for me, I was too busy with the day to day stuff.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:55:41 AM »
Unlike data,actual programs, are a little different as once installed, part of them lives inside the operating system.

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 08:11:38 PM »
Your are one smart frog, YES i have them in my downloads and carbonite.
Thanks

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
Yes, a "PC" or Windows has a great feature called "Easy Transfer Wizard".  This will copy all of your "USER" data to a new system profile...to include your application preferences, documents, music, etc.
This however does not/cannot move programs.  As Frog mentioned...there are files that are part of the operating system that cannot be moved.

Sounds like you found the downloaded install files.  Good to hear.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 11:55:47 AM »
Unlike data,actual programs, are a little different as once installed, part of them lives inside the operating system.

Actually, they take absolutely everything over, Migration Assistant it's called. I just thought MS would have something similar. Not a PC/Mac thing here, I use both...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
There is definitely software available for migration, especially easy when moving everything. I also used to see programs that actually aided both moving and bootlegging individual programs before manufacturers started to crack down on how many machines a single license program resides.