Author Topic: Golden Finds  (Read 1500 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Golden Finds
« on: October 21, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »
this past weekend my wife I drove down to Florida we're pretty close by the way, but anyway we stopped at  an old barn made into and old Flea Market type thing, bought my son a 300 dollar mountain bike for 10 bucks and get this they have an old Harley Davidson motorcycle I might can get for a few hundred bucks.  Any of you ever go out to this yard sales and old Flea Market type sites and find golden goodies, I saw on the news the other day a person bought an old picture at a yard sale and get this the picture is worth about 5 mil, because it contain Billy the Kid playing croquet, if I could only be that lucky.

darryl
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:21:52 PM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Golden Finds
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »
I work at an Antique Mall every other wknd and see a ton of cool stuff. Got a Dali print the other day with Cert of Auth. Great 2nd job. Charleston is definitely known for antiques and auctions

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
Me and my wife hit the thrift shops, swap meets and garage sales in our town at least once a week in search of hidden treasures.  And anytime we travel, we always make it a point to map out the area we are staying in and spend at least a half day on the hunt.  I also buy/sell from time to time to help cover the thrift addiction. 

We've found some really nice high end older wood furniture worth a mint that we bought for next to nothing, as well as plemty of artwork, electronics, etc.  I figure if I can get all my stuff for 25% (or less) of the actual cost, it essentially quadruples my salary.   ;D

Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 12:52:38 PM »
At the mall we oversee 90 booths that are rented out by auction people, mainly. Its definitely an insider group and they could used to make a living buying/selling. Now its more like a hobby that pays. Cool stuff comes in each day

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 01:13:04 PM »
I "garage sale patrol" my neighborhood most mild weather Saturdays, and used to also both buy and sell at a local drive-in Flea Market before the big ones all changed to mostly new imported junk.
Best I ever did was a yard sale down the street from me back around '77, eight or nine pocket knives, brand new old Keen Kutters and Winchesters for just a few bucks each.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »
I work at an Antique Mall every other wknd and see a ton of cool stuff. Got a Dali print the other day with Cert of Auth. Great 2nd job. Charleston is definitely known for antiques and auctions

what did the Dali go for?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!