Author Topic: You got to get some of these  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Re: You got to get some of these
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 08:24:23 AM »
Speaking of these guys... anyone know where you can get an uber cheap laser pointer in the same configuration?  I saw my buddy's SWF had a laser for the center point on his machine and thought... hell, that's simple!

I also saw the 10 needle brother/babylock has a camera with cross hairs... that is SWEET!  But it is more time consuming than a simple laser rig.

Here it is.
Homemade laser trace.
I bought magnetic base dial indicator in Harbor freight, dot laser on ebay, and a battery case (3v) on ebay too.
All together, about $20.
It works.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:15 AM »
Nice!  I certainly would have paid $20 bucks for a laser option when I bought the machine!  :)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
This was discussed at some length on the old TSPMB board.  I found you can push the button back through the screw on cap and remove it.  Solder a ground to the cap, and carefully solder a  wire to the battery spring in the body of the light.  You can stretch the spring a little to help.  Thread both wires through the hole in the cap and connect them to power.  The TSPMB board has you removing the front of the light and drilling a slot, etc.  I found the lens on the front doesn't always stay in place, or goes out of focus.  This method leaves the front intact.  The hard part is attaching the wire to the spring.

Anyone know how to pull off this front part?

I just picked up another one... last ones were definitely a bad batch as this one works as it should.  Anyway, I'm looking at pulling the "refractor" out completely so I can have just a straight laser again.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 11:09:38 AM »
This was discussed at some length on the old TSPMB board.  I found you can push the button back through the screw on cap and remove it.  Solder a ground to the cap, and carefully solder a  wire to the battery spring in the body of the light.  You can stretch the spring a little to help.  Thread both wires through the hole in the cap and connect them to power.  The TSPMB board has you removing the front of the light and drilling a slot, etc.  I found the lens on the front doesn't always stay in place, or goes out of focus.  This method leaves the front intact.  The hard part is attaching the wire to the spring.

Anyone know how to pull off this front part?

I just picked up another one... last ones were definitely a bad batch as this one works as it should.  Anyway, I'm looking at pulling the "refractor" out completely so I can have just a straight laser again.

they are glued on. Some are easier to get off then the others, you'll just have to pry it off. I did manage to break a few with the recent batches . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 11:36:42 AM »
Cool... I was able to pry it off a little at a time with a flat head.

That was where I was headed but I figured I'd see if there was a trick before I broke it.  It's just that HF is across town from me. ;)

Center point laser affixed to the embroidery machine now. :)