Author Topic: Thunderbird inbox suddenly empty!  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Thunderbird inbox suddenly empty!
« on: September 02, 2015, 08:26:40 PM »
This is some strange stuff!

Not one of my emails is there, nor can I find them in an archive folder or something similar as I have mucked up individua;l emails in the past.

The only thing I can possible think contributed to this would be my desk chair getting rolled over to the keyboard and its armrest pressed and remained on some key while an email was being displayed.

I did try a folder repair
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Thunderbird inbox suddenly empty!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 09:10:58 PM »
Imap or pop3?

Imap would still have everything on your server, pop3 won't.

I take it you have found your user profile (hidden way deep in some system folders) and
done the rename thing? Depending on number of emails it would be a big file, and sometimes you just need thunderbird to re-index it. At any rate, the emails are likely still on your machine, just a matter of getting tbird to see them.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 10:19:16 PM »
Well, it appears the perfect storm had ocurred as the inbox in my profile was empty. The only large file foider was "Sent"
Funny though, the mail is also gone from the provider's servers (Wave)

Good news is I minimzed the damage by recovering the profile inbox folder from by backup from 7 this morning, so now all that is missing is today's incoming emails. I can live with that.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:34:53 AM »
That's an awful, sick feeling. I formatted a hard drive years ago that did,  in fact,  have all of our kids pictures from several year of growing up.

Wish I hadn't remembered that just now...

But I'm glad you found a workaround for the Lions share of it.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »
I formatted my drive earlier this year. I thought it was a reset to defaults, but it was a total wipe.  Lenovo didn't make that very clear.  I recovered everything thankfully.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:09 AM »
Good for you! 

But there is no longer any hard evidence that my spawn ever grew up on my house for several of their years.  :( 

We've tried Thunderbird a time or two back a ways. I wasn't very computer savvy and gave up, but I think I need to try again. Andy has one of the few "Uh Oh" stories about Thunderbird I've read. I think most people like it, and it's hard to beat the low, low price of FREE.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Thunderbird inbox suddenly empty!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:24:59 AM »
This jury is still a little out on whether it was strictly a Thunderbird issue. If so, I might have   inadvertently helped it along by compacting without thinking. That is what actually empties the trashcan, if I had already somehow inadvertently deleted them, LOL! However the actual email server,  my cable company, Wave, doesn't show any of the emails either.
Definitely strange goings-on here at the pond.

As for Thunderbird itself, I pretty much love it! And except for the occasional file screwup that displays code, easily fixed by clicking rebuild folder, it's pretty much trouble-free.
And usually, according to users, when this problem of disappearing email does occur, it's easy enough to find it in the inbox back up in one's profile.. At least usually, LOL!

For me, I'm glad that I back up the whole drive at 7 o'clock every morning. Once I found the deeply buried folder, it was easy peasy. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:05:18 PM by Frog »

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 11:59:09 AM »
You can never have enough backups.

Glad you got it resolved for the most part. I've had a number of weird issues with Tbird, most merely
annoying, but was always able to get them fixed one way or another. May not be the most rock solid software,
but what are you gonna do, use Outlook?