Author Topic: Joe Clarke's Ink  (Read 12984 times)

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
Re: Joe Clarke's Ink
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 07:11:20 PM »
Those blue shirts in the video are a blend. For it being just a "cotton" ink it has some pretty damn good blocking ability. I know he is working on getting his poly ink released to market right now
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
now you got me interested ;)

gonna have to get a sample in here to play with... we rarely do any 100% cotton anymore with plastisol.. (only tough colors that won't discharge well)

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 01:30:05 AM »
I'm thinking I may have gotten a bad batch of the black. That stuff builds up so bad on the back of my screens that i've just completely stopped using it. I was getting at least a nickles width worth of buildup on the back of them and it was damn near impossible to clean it off without having to really scrub it with some screen opener and a soft scrub pad (it tore right through shop towels). The white is nice, has quite a bit of puff in it from what i'm seeing though.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 08:27:32 AM »
I'm thinking I may have gotten a bad batch of the black. That stuff builds up so bad on the back of my screens that i've just completely stopped using it. I was getting at least a nickles width worth of buildup on the back of them and it was damn near impossible to clean it off without having to really scrub it with some screen opener and a soft scrub pad (it tore right through shop towels). The white is nice, has quite a bit of puff in it from what i'm seeing though.

Can you remember about what the temperature inside the shop was at the time or has it happened across a large range of temps?  I've been using the black for about a year and we print black first down all the time and only had buildup under conditions that were very ripe for buildup, high temps inside the shop, low mesh counts, high humidity, tacky emulsion to start the process, next to a flash, etc.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 08:57:12 AM »
we just ran our first job with the white ink yesterday (only 60 pieces) and the press op said it was the best white he's seen so far. Obviously, this is just one job and more testing needs to be done, but he thought it was worth the extra money (and he rarely does).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
I know Joe has some photos of some prints done by one of the best printers in the country, and compares NexGen to Brand X. In the pictures I saw, by only changing the white ink, the prints were superior with NexGen. These were on sim process. Hopefully he will publish soon so you can see.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 12:11:19 PM »

Can you remember about what the temperature inside the shop was at the time or has it happened across a large range of temps?  I've been using the black for about a year and we print black first down all the time and only had buildup under conditions that were very ripe for buildup, high temps inside the shop, low mesh counts, high humidity, tacky emulsion to start the process, next to a flash, etc.

It's ranged across all temps and conditions (cold/hot/dry/humid) unfortunately. Lowest mesh it goes through is a 230-s, but i've put it through 255 and 305 and had the same results.
The white on the other hand was good. I'll see if I can get some pics/videos of it printing

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 01:41:44 PM »
i just emailed Joe about this, as we are doing more testing today.

We are trying the white again today, but in the past we've had a really hard time with this ink.

on our g3, i have this ink going through a 200s screen, with a yellow smiling jack, but it has to flood and print so slow in order to clear, and our pressure is between 40 and 50psi. so high!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »

We are trying the white again today, but in the past we've had a really hard time with this ink.

on our g3, i have this ink going through a 200s screen, with a yellow smiling jack, but it has to flood and print so slow in order to clear, and our pressure is between 40 and 50psi. so high!

Yeah something is def wrong..... We are printing some jobs right now through a 225/40 s thread mesh and I can open up the speed as fast as it will go and we are clearing the screen no problem..... Have you tried swapping blades?

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »
To much pressure for that squeegee; there is no way it's printing on the edge of the blade.  Is your blade folding?  Switch out your squeegee and try a normal blade and see what happens.  If that fails then check your mesh tension and off contact if you haven't already

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 02:10:42 PM »
Will check mesh tension when it's off press, but i'm fairly certain it's gonna be around 22n.

Blade is not folding!
trying a new blade now though to test it out!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
Here's a pic from Dave/Bimmridder.  Printed through a 150/48 PFP.

Here's a pic of a test print we did this morning.  One hit, 120/54 with double bevel blade on medium colored blue.  Printed at 20"/sec and about 22psi.

Closer up
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 03:16:47 PM »
looks kinda puffy... is it?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »

That's a strange one.  I know the way our press is set up with the chopper length and off contact our yellow (white knight blade correct?) would definitely be buckled at 35psi and would never hold up to 40-50, so there is one place I'd start to look for the problem.  It's certainly possible to use the white knight on that mesh count but optimally it will perform much better on lower mesh counts and I'd go with a higher duro blade on that mesh count unless the ink was pure silk and the blade edge was SHARP.  We don't have any set rules on blade to mesh count but the higher the mesh count the higher we go on blade duro and the more important the sharpness of the blade comes into play. 

The test prints I showed are within tolerance print thickness wise, at least in my opinion.   

Onewithpez

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
So I am finally getting around to testing my nextgen cotton. When I cute the ink, it is puff like almost as much as a puff additive. Any ideas? Don't a PFP through a 160s at 28n (manual) and curing to 330ish. I sent them a message and tried to call but so far no answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk