Author Topic: I've a question on Screens  (Read 7190 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I've a question on Screens
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
I'm at a bit of a crossroad.  I have about 15 roller frames and a sh!tload of old 18 x 20 wooden (I.D. 14 7/8 x 16 7/8).

I know I should just start using the rollers, but I hate to throw stuff away.  However, I might.

I have a tension meter and the 18 x 20s are like 12 - 15 newtons, pretty much a joke.

I took one of the empty rollers and added 2 washers to extend the side bars about 1/16 of an inch and found that I could use the roller to stretch new mesh, cut the mesh off the wooden frames and glue to the wood and get very usable newtons, but still 18 x 20 OD.

So here's the question -
Should I sh!tcan all the wood frames for reasons of size?  Or should I for reasons of old-school?  Or would any of you consider doing what I'm thinking about doing where the only cost is mesh and glue?  Cannot count time as that would be the same for rollers or rollers-to-wood. 

I'm not going to be doing all-over prints and the 18 x 20s can still print images about 11 1/2 by 13 1/2.

So what say you?

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: I've a question on Screens
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »
Not to take away any great feeling of innovation on your part, but roller frames have been a definite seat of the pants stretching device for years.

Now, especially with good tensions, you still have to contend with warping and joints loosening, two of the inherent problems with many wooden frames.

Another time and potential PITA and health factor you need to consider is cleaning the mesh and glue from the old frames. Wear a mask when grinding or sanding this glue!  You may get away with using the flip side for the first re-stretch, but then you still need to sand down a potential hand-cutting edge of cut mesh and glue on the other side.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:12:46 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:09:11 PM »
I bought a Diamond Chase roller frame off eBay, and cut some lumber and made a couple of frames when I first got started. They were unusable. Couldn't get the mesh to adhere properly. I don't think I ever got to use any I cobbled up. Maybe it was me.
Almost all my roller frames are 18x20 Newmans anyway, and it covers just about everything I do. Not trying to discourage you from trying it, but for myself it was a waste of time.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »
Get nostalgic for old things like cars and old knifes, not old wooden frames.

Do yourself a favor and just throw em away or burn em. Then never look back to crappy frames ever again. Look for some used rollers. I see them all the time. Buy a few here, a few there and before you know it. You have a couple dozen.

I have 6 manual frames.  This past week I printed 2 6 color jobs, a 3 color and 2 1 colors.

If I can use 6, you should be doing pretty good with 15  8)
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
Get nostalgic for old things like cars and old knifes, not old wooden frames.

Lol.

Tom, I have used the super-glue screen mesh glue before and with a hardener, it's pretty awesome stuff.

Andy, you raise some good points about the peel off and hand-cutting-ability.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »
if I may add what have heard and also seen on my press, the sweet spot is actually rather small area of the frame. Closer you get to the edge, harder it is to print. So I would get rid of them for the size if anything!

pierre
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 07:46:44 PM by blue moon »
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:36:42 PM »
Mechanically speaking only... wood never stops moving...never. Humidity, stress, handling etc are all a collective factor.
Taking your wood frames from 12-15 newtons to 30 newtons will really give the wood frames a challenge and schiznit will happen.
Foe nastalgia,  coat them, expose a cool design and hang em up for decoration.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »

Foe nastalgia,  coat them, expose a cool design and hang em up for decoration.

No matter the industry, we hang stuff on walls. Must be a guy thing  8) ;D
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »
Anyone have any pics of old screens used for decoration? Or your showroom for that matter?

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
I'm at a bit of a crossroad.  I have about 15 roller frames and a sh!tload of old 18 x 20 wooden (I.D. 14 7/8 x 16 7/8).

I know I should just start using the rollers, but I hate to throw stuff away.  However, I might.

I have a tension meter and the 18 x 20s are like 12 - 15 newtons, pretty much a joke.

I took one of the empty rollers and added 2 washers to extend the side bars about 1/16 of an inch and found that I could use the roller to stretch new mesh, cut the mesh off the wooden frames and glue to the wood and get very usable newtons, but still 18 x 20 OD.

So here's the question -
Should I sh!tcan all the wood frames for reasons of size?  Or should I for reasons of old-school?  Or would any of you consider doing what I'm thinking about doing where the only cost is mesh and glue?  Cannot count time as that would be the same for rollers or rollers-to-wood. 

I'm not going to be doing all-over prints and the 18 x 20s can still print images about 11 1/2 by 13 1/2.

So what say you?
If you want, I can remesh them for you.  We do it all the time at Xenon and still manufacture new wood frames.  Call me and I'll get you a quote.  404-895-1796
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline rmonks

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 10:00:20 PM »
I seldom print the same job twice. But the jobs that are repeat i put them on static aluminum frames, and the one time jobs i use my rollers.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 07:17:34 AM »
Do yourself a favor and only use the newmans for 2 weeks...after that you will know your answer...you will get faster set ups ( due to registration) you will get a cleaner print ( you wont be pushing the mesh you will be shearing the ink off) and you will be happier....

sam

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
Wayne, the fact that you've already got a tension meter is a reason to use the roller frames. It's usually the last piece that people add, if at all, because of the expense so you're ahead of the game. Having tight screens with consistent tension makes work easier and eliminates a variable.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »

So here's the question -

So what say you?
If you want, I can remesh them for you.  We do it all the time at Xenon and still manufacture new wood frames.  Call me and I'll get you a quote.  404-895-1796

No offense Sonny but come on you are supposed to be a friend to the industry why encourage someone to spend money on shipping and stretching of wood frames, someone would have to be out of their mind to spend money on wood frames. As said before wood is alive it will constantly move warp rack etc. you cannot put high tensions on wood sceens unless you want a surf board.
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »
LOL Inkman if what you said is true why so many shops still use wood frames?  I know tons of shops running wood frames on there auto maybe not high tension jobs and still the big chose for manual press shops.
  Now far as the 18x20 wood frames I still have some from the manual days and I use them on my auto for left chest prints, less emulsion and plus they are still pretty dam tight.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!