Author Topic: Marker suggestions?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
Marker suggestions?
« on: July 09, 2015, 11:00:37 AM »
For years, I have used beinfang "design 360" marker rag paper & "design" brand Black markers ( model# 229LF) to do my character line drawings for scanning...at some point in the last few years, these markers have become unavailable...Would any of you fellow "analogue art dinosaurs" out there have a currently available suitable replacememnt? (Similar barrel diameter/nib size) (Sharpies will not do the job, nib is too blunt, & they tend to bleed !)Thanx for any help you can offer!
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Marker suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »
I use Prismacolor markers for doing line art they have five different tips the 005 is dam near like a needle point which I like for some art, don't know if these are something you'll like but they can be bought at office Max.

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:31:31 PM »
Thanx 3 deep! I took a gander at Max's website...the usual suspects that I have encountered previously at staples...No art supply stores in my area any more...Am looking for something with which I can impart some "line quality" (thin/thick/thin) in one stroke...the technical pen types dictate one line width per nib size . (Generally, I prefer not to use french curves on character work if I can help it...) The chisel tips are not what I need either...closest would be the brush tip, but too long, and MUCH too suceptible to wiggles & excessive pressure on the part of the operator, LOL! ...the design markers had a 1/4" or so of felt showing with a fairly sharp tip...(See attached pic of what is possibly the last one on the planet, LOL!) Thanx for any & all feedback! May hafta get some clay coated board & practice up with india ink & a fine brush! (I would MUCH rather find a permanent marker that will work, AARRRGH !)

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 04:05:52 PM »
Did yet some more digging....These are water based, rather than solvent based, but I have the office manager ordering me 3 of these to try....
http://www.markersupply.com/zigmacaflmam.html#.VZ7S-bU1eSo       any further ideas, i am open to suggestions! Thanx!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »
Have you ever tried the Dixon Markette?
Actually mentioned as a replacement for your Design  model# 229LF in this listing from these folks
https://www.artsupplywarehouse.com/prodDetail.php?id=46219
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »
THAT is it man!!! THanx!!!! They are currently out of stock, but definitely what I am looking for! Thanx again!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »
I'd like to try one of those markers, guess I'll check with our local art & Craft store and see what they have

D
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 02:25:18 PM »
Got the office manager ordering me a box of the dixons that I found in stock elsewhere..If you can track them down at the craft store, I have found "ZIG MEMORY SYSTEMS" brand scrapbooking pens to work pretty well on vellum for character line drawing...Can't seem to find locally anymore though ...it has a1.2mm bullet tip , and a .5mm fine tip at the other end ...their model #MS-6600..thanx again Frog, et al!

Offline andyandtobie

• Verified/Junior
  • "They said this would be easy!"
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 10:33:27 AM »
Not sure if it's still relevant, since this thread is pretty old, but have you looked at Copic Sketch or Prismacolor brush tip markers?  I use them for everything, with Pigma Micron pens for the blacks.  I get line variation from the Microns just by selecting different sizes and going over the lines a couple of times that I want to build up and tapering the ends of the strokes.  Works great!  The Copic Sketch markers came out first with a flexible brush tip, and they're neat because you can buy new nibs and ink bottles, so you only have to buy the marker once.  Prismacolor finally got on the ball and came out with their brush markers that have a similar tip and are not repairable, but are much cheaper, and I actually like the feel of them a little better.  I've used these tools for everything I do for years, having only recently bought a Cintiq (though $2500 later I still prefer the markers).

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 10:40:24 AM »
I have tried brush tip markers, & they are a little more "wiggly" than I can control...PLENTY of thin/thick/thin ability, but hard for me to control smoothly...Am curious though... What is a "Cintiq"? a tablet/stylus for computer?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
Not just any tablet, but the higher end ones,
https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/DTK2700/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline andyandtobie

• Verified/Junior
  • "They said this would be easy!"
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 10:53:06 AM »
Well, like anything, control comes with practice, right?  I had a tough time at first.  The Wacom Cintiq is a tablet, yes, built into the back of a monitor.  It allows you to draw right on the screen with the stylus.  There are some cheaper versions of it out there, but they're just not the same, in my opinion.  For those looking to try the experience, you can use an iPad with a stylus and an application like Sketchbook Pro, but you're limited by the maximum canvas size.  As for me, I've found that I'm still much faster and better at penciling and inking on bristol board, and I just use the Cintiq for coloring on projects where a paper original won't be something of value.  Overall, I still prefer to do it all with markers when I can.  A lot of guys like to use a Cintiq for inking, as well.  You can get the Manga Studio 5 program (don't let the name fool you) for $35 on Amazon, and it has some pretty amazing tools for inking.  I would use it more for that, but I'm pretty fast on paper, so it actually takes me longer on the computer- but people who feel a little shaky can get a lot of help from the "auto-stabilization" feature and its neato curved ruler tools.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:57:27 AM by andyandtobie »

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 11:05:02 AM »
Thanx, Frog/AndyandTobie! I figured that was what he meant! Had a Wacom for my personal MAC...after it died (in this company's service, no less!) the bosses just ignored all of my requests for a new one for company's PC...we don't do much illustrative stuff that would require one, but sure was handy when needed...they don't love me enough, LOL! Indeed, there is a learning curve to everything, but I am an old dog...I DO kinda miss the smell of an art department with 10 guys smearing markers around!