Author Topic: Counterfeit Tees!?  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Counterfeit Tees!?
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
hey gang...So, I have a customer bring me a shirt that they want me source and print for them...its labeled a Hanes product, slim cut (like AA) obviously ring-spun but doesnt necessarily seem "lightweight". Heres the kicker: the tag is like no Hanes tag I have seen in twenty years. Here is the shirt itself, the customer says they had a small shop print 800 of these from a place in central SC, and it was only four months ago:

Here is the tag. Clearly this is no Hanes logo that I have ever seen.The tag doesnt feel satin-ey like we are used to, its rough and almost a fabric/paper hybrid. It has the RN# and another number to the side (dont remember what initials were before it, the customer took the shirt when they left). There is no care label or any other info on the tag. I looked the shirt over to see if there were other tags, like in the side, there were none. I also see no evidence of any tags being removed, either...

...anyone seen one of these? I called Hanes customer service, they said it sounded like a 5980 from the Hanes Silver collection, but that has been discontinued for over a year, and I dont remember the tag looking like that. They didnt seem too interested in pursuing the idea that maybe the shirt wasnt legit.

...Any thoughts?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Counterfeit Tees!?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
Strange.  I don't recall seeing that logo either.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41:30 AM »
I've seen it.  They've been using that tag on their ringspun fashion tees for a little over a year I think.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »
That's funny that you say counterfeit, I said the exact same thing the first time I saw that tag.  It was a customer provided job and I thought our customer had been ripped off.  Then shortly after that, the hanes shirts we were getting from Broder and Alpha had those tags.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »
...do you have a style number? I cant find anyone carrying anything like this.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:04:23 PM »
My wife says it's a 4980.  I can't back that up since I'm just a production guy but she's probably right.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 12:09:46 PM »
Yep it's 4980.  Just printed a bunch of maroon in the same style.  The size label looks either horribly stamped/printed, or intentionally crappy?  Nice shirt otherwise.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 12:14:32 PM »
...just figured it out! according to SanMar, this is the Nano tee. Mystery solved! Funny how the collective TSB provided me better customer service on a Hanes product than Hanes itself did.

...you guys rule, Thanks!!!    8)
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
Nano tee is it printed them a while back could not remember where I seen the label but now I know, we all know lol
"No man is an island"

Offline cattees

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 01:18:51 PM »
I too haven't seen these new tags yet, but I noticed recently that the Jerzees 363 also has a new tag and it too is like scratchy paper.  Not only is the material cheapening up, so are the tags!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
those scratchy tags are usually tear aways.

Offline cattees

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
You think they would tell us their tear-aways - the Anvil 779 is a tear-away, but I didn't think the other brands were - I'll have to start tearing and see what happens...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 02:49:21 PM »
I noticed a Hanes tee (made ot be trendy adn comparable to the types like American Ampparel. It was light weight. 100% cotton.

The whole order (near 500) were all cut odd. Made in Honduras. It looked like the sleeves were put on backwards or something. They were a little bunched at the seems near the shoulders. Couldn't figure it out but they just fit odd. Many people started noticing and talking about the fit.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 04:33:50 PM »
Hanes NANO I've been printing on them alot lately since they cost the same as a Gildan 5000 from TSC on sale. (ofcourse I still upcharge for a fitted tee). Older stock has the red tags and newer stock has a Hanes iron on "tagless" label and the size inside the shirt at the bottom side seam (kind of annoying). The tags will curl under normal cure temp so make sure your fold the collar under the shirt.

So far my customers love them and like them better than Tultex and I wear a few myself. I would still prefer the Anvil "fashion fitted" though.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 05:08:12 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Definitely the NANO tee. My wife loves those things.