Author Topic: Internet Speeds  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Internet Speeds
« on: June 02, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »
I understand that for most of us, upload speeds are slower than download. How much is usual (and acceptable)?
Yesterday, I could not order some stuff I needed due to a really slow upload speed. Sites timed out, and a few other errors popped up as well after one or two minutes of spinning timer indicators.

Yesterday, my download was a respectable 30.14 Mbps while upload speed was a dismal 0.50
Today, stuff is working, and the upload reads 3.05

Is this ratio of 10/1 typical (and adequate)?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Internet Speeds
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »
min is about 0.7. We are at 1 with 6MB and 1.5 on 15MB. . .
pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »
I understand that for most of us, upload speeds are slower than download. How much is usual (and acceptable)?
Yesterday, I could not order some stuff I needed due to a really slow upload speed. Sites timed out, and a few other errors popped up as well after one or two minutes of spinning timer indicators.

Yesterday, my download was a respectable 30.14 Mbps while upload speed was a dismal 0.50
Today, stuff is working, and the upload reads 3.05

Is this ratio of 10/1 typical (and adequate)?

Pretty normal and 10/1 should be enough to get any web browsing/ordering done no issue. Your ISP may have something else going on that wasn't so much speed related as quality of service related. 30/3 is pretty good.

Here is ours, we were stuck on 10/.512 here for years and that was terrible when sending large files or downloading large files.

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 09:58:55 AM »

Pretty normal and 10/1 should be enough to get any web browsing/ordering done no issue. Your ISP may have something else going on that wasn't so much speed related as quality of service related. 30/3 is pretty good.

I have little doubt that they had something going on for a day or so as, like you said, 30/3 seems pretty good but 30/.5 literally had some transactions grind to a halt. Like an idiot, I waited to call them til about 5:30 pm, their busiest time, and just gave up, and figured it would get better (which, thank goodness, it did)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
funny how spoiled we've all become with fast internet access...

back when I started with internet access in 1990, we had a pair of fractional T1's (128k each) to the 'net... at that time, that was considered smoking fast, as whole schools barely had more...  if I remember correctly it wasn't until something like 1992 that the NSF (National Science Foundation) completed their nationwide 'DS3' upgrade which brought the backbone up to 54mb...

now we have nearly as much bandwidth to our houses/businesses that the ENTIRE internet backbone had in the early 90's.

Back on track....

like brandt said, typical is 10:1.... generally you see 30meg down/3-6meg up.  we run fine here with 20meg down, 3 meg up... really depends on what we're doing, and if one of us is streaming video...  A few things to consider tho...  if you are using 'web-based' security cameras that record on 'the cloud', you'll be chewing up a certain amount of bandwidth for that.   If you're using VoIP phones, those are very sensitive to delay and network utilization...  etc.

Also, depending on your ISP, if they're experiencing an attack (typically called a DDoS or DoS), that can slow your access down.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »
What threw me a bit, was just my upload suffering so

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 11:34:26 AM »
Cable internet for me. 30 down and 5 up is average using wi-fi. Speedtest using wi-fi on my Windows phone is about 15 down and 5 up.
Dale Hoyal

Offline islandtees

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 01:16:34 PM »
We download at 140 Mbps  Upload at 14 Mbps. So click its there.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
We download at 140 Mbps  Upload at 14 Mbps. So click its there.

Uber fast, but still the same 10/1

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 02:59:51 PM »
I have a friend who works for a local Telephone and Internet Provider in South Central Kansas.

He has mentioned having access to a "FULL PIPE"...and then he just grins....

What is a FULL PIPE??  (I'm too embarrassed to ask him.)  I know their T-1 lines are serviced from that somehow, but I don't really understand it.

We are sitting at .38 ms Ping, 5.38 Mbps Down, and 1.11 Mbps Up @ 2PM Central Time.  That's pretty bad, but our Upload is about 20% of our Download.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 03:01:14 PM »
FWIW, you could have 50 kilobits up, and you won't likely have issues with stuff like ordering on line. 

You're experiencing what the ISP world euphemistically calls "Latency outages"--i.e. the internet works, it just takes way too long to connect to the thirty different sites you need to in order for the web site to load and forward properly.

When our net service is bad some hops will take two to four seconds each--I've seen ten hop transfers take thirty seconds, which is long enough to time out a lot of those sites...

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 03:11:31 PM »
I have a friend who works for a local Telephone and Internet Provider in South Central Kansas.

He has mentioned having access to a "FULL PIPE"...and then he just grins....

What is a FULL PIPE??  (I'm too embarrassed to ask him.)  I know their T-1 lines are serviced from that somehow, but I don't really understand it.

We are sitting at .38 ms Ping, 5.38 Mbps Down, and 1.11 Mbps Up @ 2PM Central Time.  That's pretty bad, but our Upload is about 20% of our Download.

Full pipe depends on what their uplink is, but these days, even smaller providers have at least oc3 (155mb/s) or oc12 (622mb/s) connectivity... I do contract work for a datacenter that has multiple 10gb circuits to the net...  however, even at these places, you're still limited as to what the far-end server can deliver and how much traffic your pc can receive.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Exactly, no matter your pipe you will be limited by the web server/pipe that is hosting the page your trying to load. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
FWIW, you could have 50 kilobits up, and you won't likely have issues with stuff like ordering on line. 

You're experiencing what the ISP world euphemistically calls "Latency outages"--i.e. the internet works, it just takes way too long to connect to the thirty different sites you need to in order for the web site to load and forward properly.

When our net service is bad some hops will take two to four seconds each--I've seen ten hop transfers take thirty seconds, which is long enough to time out a lot of those sites...

Here's the screen shots from yesterday when things ground to a halt, and today, which is working great.
It shows the latency numbers as slightly better yesterday. That does not seem to be the issue (if this is what you are talking about)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
check out the net neutrality laws coming into play.  Many large providers are trying to fight it but it will stop them from throttling speeds.  Also they won't be able to call it broadband unless it has a minimum of 25 megabytes per second download
It's not a job if you love doing it.