Author Topic: More bang for your buck tut on seps. Short Old vid, but might be new to some.  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 08:33:47 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline LoneWolf2

definitely informative.
Quick question, when you say "translucent" inks, what would an example of those be?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
definitely informative.
Quick question, when you say "translucent" inks, what would an example of those be?

In the best case scenario, you would look into inks that are designed for high mesh aka sim process halftone printing and blending. No specific brand as they all have something for this. In other cases, you might take your regular ink and add clear base extender or I think what is called Finesse. Typically, you want to add about 10% of these to thin the inks down but do not reduce them too much. You can lose the intensity and integrity of the ink. A reason to add more additive depends on what you want to do with the art. If you are going to blend heavily, then maybe thin it out to 15%.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
my thinking is buy the sim process inks. This way the manufacturer is doing the blending for you and it will be consistent from one print to another. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline myseps

• Master Color Separator
Do you have a photo of the printed sample from this video?   It would be neat to compare the colors we see on the screen with the actual print, to see if those separated blends really translate to the shirt as you are suggesting.
myseps.com color separations by Scott D.   Follow me on facebook

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I just came across the printed shirt that was in this vid today, so I'll try to remember to post up a pic of the actual print so you can see how this turned out.  It's my art, My own seps and also, my sale, so I was very happy with the results. It did what I needed it to do.